Half a terabyte of public domain video, free for the downloading

18 Responses to “Half a terabyte of public domain video, free for the downloading”

2. arkizzle says:

Thaa-aank yo-ou Internetz!

3. Takuan says:

half a terabyte – free. I honestly remember a time when “terabyte” had a reverent pause before it – like when people said: “the Promised Land”.

4. Tom Hale says:

Terabyte. Yeah, I remember when my wife’s work computer’s hard drive was upgraded to 80 Mb. The computer tech told her, “You will never be able to fill this drive up.” That was close to 20 years ago. My first laptop had only a 2 Gb HDD. I now have a few programs that take up more than 5 Gb.

Will we reach a point when you can imagine looking at a used computer at a garage sale saying, “look,it only has a 5 terabyte hard drive, 75 bucks is too much, I’ll give you 50.”

5. CarlMalamud says:

#7 – don’t have torrents going (yet) on that particular archive, but the ftp/http/rsync should all be working.

(If you really want onesies and twosies of these films, highly recommend the Internet Archive interface, which has the same mpeg2 files as have on our bulk site. The filename is usually the archive.org identifier.)

6. Zhent says:

Wonderful, now if only I lived in a country where ISP’s would give you enough quota to download half a terabyte.

7. Javier Candeira says:

Takuan:

I remember when the same pause went in front of “megabyte”. And I am sure you can still find people that remember that pause in front of “kilobyte”.

8. Takuan says:

(where are the Four Yorkshire men of Memory?)

9. eaddict says:

I went to the site and there is no way to purchase it. I’d buy the DVD set to help pay to support efforts like this. If they don’t have DVDs maybe someone can set up some torrents…. hmmm… something to do when I am at home…

10. eaddict says:

Update on my boneheaded comment earlier. Duh. Gotta read everything before posting!

These data are available via:
    – BitTorrent at http://torrent.resource.org
    – Rsync at rsync://bulk.resource.org
    – FTP at ftp://bulk.resource.org
    – HTTP at http://bulk.resource.org

11. vinceclortho says:

“we thought you might appreciate the convenience of simply downloading the whole thing as NTSC MPEG-2 files all at one time and sorting it out later”

How is it possible to download the whole thing at one time?

Thanks for any help/advice.

12. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Community Manager says:

EAddict, thank you for the great recovery and the links.

13. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Community Manager says:

Takuan @10, is that anything like the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse?

14. trr says:

The first PC I paid for (actually a Mac) had a 230 MB HD. Seemed pretty big at the time.

15. vinceclortho says:

How is it possible to download the whole thing at one time?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Award for the most pedantic comment of the week: “When you say “..federal government” do you mean the federal government of the U.S.A.?” LOL No, the federal government of Iceland.