A moving eulogy for a father

18 Responses to “A moving eulogy for a father”

Very touching.

In reading this, I compare my own father, my father in law, and my husband. Both my own father and my father-in-law are affectionate and loving toward their offspring, and their daughter/son-in-law.

My husband has a 4-year-old brother, and when they interact I see what kind of father he will be someday. There is a great deal of playfulness, affection and love there, and I know that our future child(ren) will be lucky to have him as a dad.

2. jGrrl says:

I have been reading here for quite some time and today I am moved to comment. My condolences to Mr Scott Edelman and his family. This was the most beautiful eulogy I have ever read/seen. This is a very fortunate family and though I cannot call my own father, he has passed on already, I was there with him when he went and I can say that I too, had this type of love from my father. He is in my thoughts right now. Thank you for sharing this and I am sure that Scott’s father is smiling on us all right now.

3. LogopolisMike says:

This is a really beautiful eulogy, and while I’m sure it’s a hard time for Mr. Edelman, it seems like it was probably something really easy to write based on the kind of man his father was and the kind of man his father raised. The words are beautiful but too rare because the relationship they describe is too rare; though my father was not as demonstrative, I’ve never doubted that he loved his family more than anything else in the world, and it’s way too easy to forget how lucky I am. Thanks for the reminder.

4. igpajo says:

That was beautiful. Every father should read that aspire to be like the man he’s describing. I realized the importance of saying “I Love You” to all my family and being open with my emotions when my grandfather died. I was in High School when it happened and what hurt the most was that I couldn’t remember ever telling him I loved him. I adored him, but never expressed it in words. My grandmother assured me he knew, but it still hurt to know I’d never told him. I tell everyone I love that I do every chance I get now.

Thanks for sharing that.

5. jonnygoldstein says:

You are a lucky guy. Thanks for writing this.

6. Tom Fury says:

Scott was a lucky man, and it sounds like Mr. Edelman was too. I wish I’d had a father like that.

7. buddy66 says:

My late friend Dodie Russo was a tough, brawling Italian-American (emphasis on Italian) bar owner, bartender and bouncer. He had two athletic teen-age sons that he would kiss or cuff around, depending on the occasion. He told me about their occasional objections to the kissing:

“They don’t like me kissing them, I kick their asses! — see how they like that.”

Of course they adored him.

I followed a link here and my first thought was a cynical “oh what is this crap? a eulogy on Boing Boing?”. I found myself reading on anyway, having a soft spot of curiosity after losing a close friend a little while ago. I got sucked in and found myself in tears by the end. very touching. thank you for sharing.

9. Machinehead says:

That was very moving indeed. I wish I can be a father like that if I ever have children of my own. Thanks for sharing.

beautiful.

11. arikol says:

As a father of two young children that is the sort of stuff I want to live up to.
    Be all you can be truly means to be like that, love and be loved.

Inspiring.

12. denstark says:

Very moving. I am also glad that I know that my father loves me. I think I’ll give him a call tonight.

13. key says:

Thank you for sharing this with us. I hope that I can be this kind of father for my son. Your dad is someone for everyone to look up to.

14. trr says:

Cool. I can still get this right with my son and daughter.

15. Dean says:

Excellent. I see that as something to live up to.

16. Caroline says:

Denstark, I think I’ll call my dad tonight too. I’m grateful that he’s always let me know how much he loves me, and has always been there for me. I don’t take that for granted.

(I seem to have a little something in my eye here, excuse me.)

I’m so sorry for Scott Edelman’s loss.

I agree with the above comments. As a son with a great father I hope to be a great father to my son.

18. Bevin says:

Thanks for sharing that, and my heart goes out to his family. Like the other commenters, I think I’m going to go call my Dad now.