Linda Hesh's "Bench Project"

22 Responses to “Linda Hesh's "Bench Project"”

1. ridl says:

Asparagus pee scent happens so fast! I ate a bunch just a couple days ago and my pee like 10 MINUTES LATER had it.

I’m glad this gave me a chance to post about that, because it totally blew my mind.

2. dr80085 says:

being able to smell my (and others’) asparagus pee is my favourite inherited trait!

3. Shukketsushi says:

thats a pretty cool project. i love boingboing for showing me these things that i would otherwise never know about. it makes my day.

4. echonomist says:

Great post: it’s funny, informative and brief. Thanks for the headsup on this artist.

5. thelibrarianne says:

I HAVE THAT LLAMA. It’s sitting right on my desk. The Internet is so great.

Fun post!

6. Gareth Branwyn says:

I love how you forget that you ate asparagus, then hours later, you’re peeing and you think “EW… what’s that… Oh, right. Asparagus.” That little stink-bomb prank on yourself is reason enough to eat it!

7. flarbas says:

Argh, I can’t believe I checked back to see if people had finally ceased the inane asparagus pee conversation.

And I’m extremely disappointed that it continued, this post had a whole lot more worthwhile comment opportunities than the act of smelling one’s pee.

BTW are there other foods that affect pee as well, I never even knew about the asparagus thing?

8. Manooshi says:

‘Asparagus Pee Scent’

Awesome.

9. Modusoperandi says:

So those who are apathetic about an issue have to stand? Typical. I’d start a protest, but…y’know.

10. Takuan says:

“* Foul smelling urine may be caused by bacteria, a common sign of a urinary tract or bladder infection.
    * Sweet smelling urine is a sign of diabetes or a rare disease of metabolism.
    * Musty smelling urine may be a sign of liver disease and certain metabolic disorders.
    * Ammonia smell is a concentrated urine due to dehydration.
    * Burned caramel smell is a sign of a very rare life-threatening inherited maple syrup urine disease.
    * Certain foods and medicines, including vitamins, may affect your urine’s odor ~ asparagus causes a characteristic odor.”

what’s it mean when you urine smells like napalm?

11. TheChickenAndTheRice says:

That’s a fun idea.

She should enlist a graphic designer who’s skilled at typography to give the messages more punch.

12. player0326 says:

What a fun site. Just found it today. SO why doe my urine smell like chocolate?

13. avraamov says:

but that’s the main reason for eating asparagus. maybe the only one.

14. toxonix says:

Can I get an

AGAINST
    Hipsters

?
    Thank you very much sir.

15. J France says:

Aspargus Pee Scent guy looks like his pupils have been whited out – theres a sense of evil commanding me to be against stinky pee. Which I very much am.

16. Gareth Branwyn says:

>She should enlist a graphic designer who’s skilled >at typography to give the messages more punch.

Linda Hesh is a very talented designer. This work looks the way it does — utilitarian, generic, commonplace — because she wants it to look that way.

17. Rezpect says:

I am also against asparagus pee scent.

18. Gareth Branwyn says:

>So those who are apathetic about an issue have to stand?

That’s actually one of the things I like about this piece is that you SIT DOWN for a cause rather than standing up. And that you can be doing so for some gigantic, important issue, or some inane thing, like asparagus pee. You get to choose the level/intensity of the discourse.

19. flarbas says:

I am currently against talking about asparagus pee scent.

Also I am for that picture for gay marriage, what a great moment.

20. Patrick Dodds says:

I like asparagus pee scent more than pink beetroot wee.

21. minTphresh says:

but i am FOR the magical glowing-green color of asparagus pee!

22. sciencemike says:

If it wasn’t for the smell of asparagus pee, I would eat this lovely vegetable way more often.