TED2009: Biologist Robert Full

20 Responses to “TED2009: Biologist Robert Full”

1. 13strong says:

This is really interesting, and I appreciate your dedicated blogging of the conference.

But what is with your spelling, grammar and syntax? It’s like a robot or something.

What’s going on Mark?

2. Stefan Jones says:

I think Mark is reporting in near real time mode.

* * *

OK, this is clever work, but do we really want a robot that can CATCH us if it gets it into its head that it wants to EXTERMINATE! us?

3. Tdawwg says:

Wow, those animations keep getting worse: congratulations, of a kind, they’re quite sublimely horrible! Is the point to make the speakers look ridiculous, or are you unaware of that effect?

4. Tdawwg says:

Err, “illustrations,” rather. Keep up the bad work!

5. holtt says:

Maybe someone slipped LSD into the illustrator’s coffee.

6. Tdawwg says:

You see them too? So it’s not my coffee?

7. Stefan Jones says:

Illustration has nothing to do with it.

When you speak at TED, the contents of your speech are analyzed by a leading-edge AI computer, which turns the contents into a trippy holographic display in near real time.

This is projected over the speaker, resulting in the photographs that Mark has supplied with his reports.

8. Impostleable says:

What’s with all the TED talk spamming posts appearing on boing boing? I don’t mean to be a troll, i simply don’t see the need to hear about every new talk appearing on a relatively old website.

Yes TED is a really interesting site… but i think a once off “Hey TED is interesting, check it out” would be better than the tirade of “OMG new TED talk, OMG another one, OH they put another video up, OH more TED videos”

9. arkizzle says:

Impostleable

TED2009 is on now. Mark is at TED. He is blogging about it.

What’s up?

10. arkizzle says:

Impostleable

..also: I’m not sure it’s technically possible to spam your own blog. I’m sure that’s called something else. “Blogging” maybe.

11. holtt says:

I think it’s called “Prolific Blogging” :^)

IMO there is a point where the amount of posts on a blog (like BB) can reach a point where it has to be divvied up a bit. I’m thinking like Slashdot does.

12. Tom Hale says:

#8 IMPOSTLEABLE,

About the multiple TED posts, I’m pretty sure someone working at BB is trying to send a secret message hidden in the TED headlines and possibly in the first paragraph – though I haven’t totally ruled out the possibility that the message is hidden in the body of the post. Let’s put our brains together and see if we can figure what they’re trying to tell us.

13. holtt says:

I was under the impression that being in the audience @ TED, it was “devices off and attention to the stage” kind of thing. At least that’s what a friend who’s there was telling me.

Kind of funny to imagine Mark going back to the online versions after the fact to catch the things he missed because he was live blogging :^)

14. minTphresh says:

that is a pretty amazing moustache.

Full didn’t develop stickybot. It was developed at Stanford University, in Professor Mark Cutkosky’s lab. Robert Full is a collaborator with Cutkosky’s lab for various projects, but to put credit where credit is due, Cutkosky deserves the credit in this post.

16. Takuan says:

cracked it: ” be…..sure….to ….drink….your….ovaltine……”

17. Takuan says:

or possibly: “overall there was a smell of fried onions”

18. Tom Hale says:

Takuan, that’s pretty funny, I know you not serio- – wait, no it can’t be! Arrrgh1 I’ve been working on this for hours and its a stinking chocolate milk ad? Bastards!

Or maybe, “be sure to drink your ovaltine,” is BB code for something else. We’re going to have to get inside Mark’s head to solve this one.

19. arkizzle says:

Tom, I think I have it!

If we take the phrase “be sure to drink your ovaltine”, and run it through the ROT13 cipher, we get this:

“or fher gb qevax lbhe binygvar”

Now brace yourself, here’s the magic. If we run it through a second time, we get:

“be sure to drink your ovaltine”

Astounding? Amazing? Its the Shocking Truth!

20. TheChickenAndTheRice says:

I think TED haxored BoingBoing.