Dubai airport clogged with cars abandoned by fleeing construction workers

20 Responses to “Dubai airport clogged with cars abandoned by fleeing construction workers”

1. Art says:

My Goodness!

And here I thought that Dubai had ALL the money!

2. Takuan says:

heh! gotta love pay-back.

3. agari says:

I have to say, Cory, I’m very disappointed with the exaggeration you’ve added to it. I pass by the airport most days on my way to university and back home, and “clogged” is not a word that describes it.

Not only that, but the construction workers get too low a wage to be able to afford a car to buy for themselves. So even if they’d be leaving the country ahead of a global economic recession/depression, I would question and be very skeptical of the chances of that segment of society leaving cars behind in the area around the airport.

It’s pretty disappointing that some (reputable?) newspapers and blogs have took up a piece of information and blown it way out of proportion.

I agree with #16, it is total BS. Gulf News isn’t the only newspaper to point out that this issue was exaggerated, a lot of the other local news sources pointed that out, over the past week the issue has been heavily editorialized in most of the local newspapers, Arabic and English alike.

4. dargaud says:

Dubai will be an interesting place to visit… in 50 years, once it’s completely abandoned and only a few sheep herders wander near it.

5. aldasin says:

Does this mean we aren’t going to get that refrigerated beach we were promised?

6. certron says:

Sounds like a good place to pick up used cars, either for sale or scrap.

Maybe we’ll be seeing some of these come to the US in the form of scrap metal for wind or hydro turbines.

Bubble, bubble, we’re all in trouble.

8. noen says:

“Why would our slaves leave their beautiful cages for a dirty flat in some poor country? Don’t they know we care for them almost as much as we care for our pets? Why, oh why does this happen to us? We are the true victims here.”

9. Teller says:

Dubye.

I actually was in Dubai last weekend and passed by the police station. All I saw in there parking lot was hundreds and hundreds of cars covered in sand. What does that tell you? Seized cars from the airport….

I’m looking into getting that Range Rover I saw.

11. disarticulate says:

Lets build islands in the sea, Screw nature, money is all you need to turn the world upside down.

12. groovehouse says:

Is the U.S. bailing out Dubai also??

Although the situation is sad for families/workers/businesses involved, that’s a fantastic article. It conjures up ballardian images of brand new cars left to rust in yet another incomplete utopia. Thanks.

14. bassemb says:

@11: Zing!

Here in Lebanon the recession has not hit us directly (or at least not yet) but many Lebanese who were working in the Emirates are being laid off.

15. Ian70 says:

Maybe the story linked to in #16 was written according to the new “you aren’t allowed to publish anything that makes us look bad” edict. Now that there’s no unbiased reporting coming from the country it’s safe to assume that you can no longer believe -anything- that comes from media inside the country. The story is that 1+n cars are being abandoned; the real story is that the economic slowdown is hitting everybody. No surprise there.

16. rfenno says:

As a recent (former) employee of Cunard, where the QE2 now resides, I’d say it couldn’t have happened to a worse country. They bought her for top dollar, planning to refit her into a hotel. With a little luck, that’ll never happen now.

A ship is a SHIP. Even QM, parked in Long Beach, is still a ship.

17. mdh says:

Gee, our ports (USA) are full of cars too.

18. urshrew says:

Anyone looking for an investment? I have some really cheap real estate to sell in a prime location.

19. obdan says:

Gee, that’s weird. Who could’ve possibly seen that one coming?