David Pogue's TED2009 roundup

12 Responses to “David Pogue's TED2009 roundup”

1. Robbo says:

We always had spider plants hanging all through our puppet shop to help soak up the glue fumes. It wasn’t perfect but it did help. We also made sure we had specially ventilated rooms and masks to work with – but the plants made the whole thing liveable.

2. frankieboy says:

I bet just about anyone would look groovy and knowledgeable with that radiating design on their picture! Black turtleneck, casual yet thoughtful and frank gaze at the viewer. A deep low buzzing sound would totally complete the effect. Massive brainpower illustrated!

3. codekitchen says:

I have a cat and a dog, and seeing how many of these plants appear to be toxic to both, I’m wondering if there are alternatives with most or all of the benefit but without the animal toxicity.

4. Avi Solomon says:

The original NASA report is here:

Wolverton, B. C., A. Johnson and K. Bounds, “Interior Landscape Plants for Indoor Air Pollution Abatement,” NASA/ALCA Final Report, Plants for Clean Air Council, Davidsonville, Maryland, 1989

The Rubber plant is also a good low-maintenance choice for better indoor air quality.

5. Takuan says:

interesting. Do the toxins concentrate in the pot’s soil?

6. teletypeturtle says:

Dr. Wolverton also published more than one consumer book on this research. This one @ Amazon contains not just three, but information on 50 houseplants that can improve your indoor air.

7. teletypeturtle says:

8. ornith says:

Hmm, I think I should look into whether those plants are cat-safe; if they are, I’m putting some in my new apartment.

9. ornith says:

And the answer is areca palm is safe for pets but the other two are dangerous. (Also, what he’s calling money plant isn’t the one with the white translucent disc leaves many people know by that name.) Four waist high plants is an awful lot to have in a studio apartment, though – seems like what you gain in air quality you lose in space. Unless he’s talking about a much bigger room – I wish there were a plants/area calculation in this someplace.

10. skatanic says:

I really wish i could have watched Jennifer Mather’s talk but i can’t seem to find it on TED’s site.

11. Aloisius says:

I’m sorry, but that office plant experiment seems completely useless.

There was no control and only one building tested!

It could have been the age of the building, the ventilation system, the lifestyles of the people working in the building, the location of the building, the type of perfume people who work there wear, the type of foods they eat or the frequency people dust or a million other things.