25 Responses to “iPhone repair company iResQ: No bad-service refund unless you delete blog posts complaining about the bad service”

1. Jupiter BFPOE says:

I had an unfriendly experience with iResq that was eventually resolved. First UPS messed up and on the return trip my iPod went to Portland for a couple days (I’m in Orange County, CA and IResq is in Kansas City and I was just using the standard shipping service–didn’t need it back overnight). iResq was able to get my iPod back on track to me but when I got it back there was no audio output (they replaced the motherboard) . I expected them to send me a box for their 24 hour service to fix their error and e-mailed them about my issue. They said I needed to send it to them at my expense and they would reimburse me up to something like $8. I wrote them back saying they had sent back my iPod in a non working state and I expected them to fix it on their 24 hour service. They responded with the exact same e-mail response as the first. Several angry cussing phone calls just got essentially the same response over and over. I finally left a message for one of the superiors a week later they finally agreed to send me a box and get my iPod repaired via their overnight service but only after I agreed I would be OK with this. It now takes my iPod (5th generation 80 GB) about 3 minutes to boot after it shuts down it also seems to shut down completely much more often than it did before iResq. I don’t think it took this long to boot before but hell if I’m sending my iPod back to them.

I think that they are probably a pretty good company most of the time, but when the mess up they do not deal with it well.

2. Halloween Jack says:

I’m thinking that Apple may want to rethink this policy (or urge iResQ to, if they’re really an independent firm) now that there’s real competition not only from Google/Android, but also from Palm.

3. bokodasu says:

I am really perplexed by this. Isn’t there a headline every day about some company trying this? And how it always backfires? I wouldn’t have even heard of most of these companies if they just gave the bad service; it’s the trying to remove the evidence of the bad service that always brings them to my attention.

I haven’t even used an Apple product since 1996, but now I hate iResQ too! Good job with the PR there, guys.

4. Serolynne says:

Hooray! It looks like iResQ came around to handling this situation properly. She has both received her fixed iPhone back, got a sincere apology and was given a full refund.

Lindsay has posted an update to the saga to her blog:

Many thanks to the BoingBoing community for helping get the story spread to a wider audience.

– Serolynne (friend of Lindsay’s)

5. MikeRey says:

The iPhone 3G Touch Screen came like looking new.
    cupertinoiphone.com

Too bad he does not do the 2G repair. Please convey if you know of anyone who does good 2G repair.

6. soupcrusher says:

whoa. i’ve done business with these guys before. i bought a replacement hd for my ipod (via ebay). decent price, got it out to me with a quickness, along with a tool to pop it open.

i always thought it’d be weird to ship your electronics somewhere for repairs. it sucks this person has had such a bad run of it with these guys, but stuff like this happens. it think it’s more off-putting that they’re trying to be the comment police. hope this all gets smoothed over.

I had done a lot of research on the web for iPhone Repair. What I found is that most of the repair shops are using the OEM Touch Screens. I call one repair shop and asked them what do they mean by OEM. Is it Original Apple, They said no. Then what is meant by OEM, they say it is manufactured by the same manufacturer who manufactures the Apple Touch Screen. Hmmm…. Very interesting. “How do I believe you” I asked. They said we never had a problem. I asked what is the guarantee, they said 3 months after 3 months you will have to go to Apple. But if I go to Apple, then they will know that this is not a Genuine Part & someone put a OEM Non Apple Part. Apple will know it for sure when they open the iPhone. They did not had an answer.

After lot of searching, I found “Cupertino iPhone Repair”, yes this is the place where Apple is headquartered. They were offering Genuine Apple Touch Screens & they guaranteed it for a year. I gave them a shot & was very happy with the result.

The iPhone screen looked like Brand New & I cannot tell that the iPhone was ever opened. I also took it to Apple Genius just to show them an made up issue with software and they cannot tell.

Thanks http://www.CupertinoiPhone.com

-Chad H

8. mdh says:

That’s a shame bokodau, apples products stopped stinking in about 2001, just about when their marketing became unbearable.

9. JerryJDavis says:

I was very surprised to read this, because I had a wonderful experience with iResq after running over my #*$&ing iPhone with my car — it felt like I’d killed my own dog — and they read about it on my blog, contacted ME, said they could fix it, and had it back to me shiny and new within days and for 2/3 the price I would have had to pay Apple.

Everyone makes a mistake once in a while, and you can’t please everyone all the time. I personally would trust iResq again with my Apple products. I like the people there so much I consider them friends.

Ipodjuice.com and iphonelcdrepair.com both fix 2g iphone (AMA first gem iPhone) repairs and from what I have read about it they do a great job.

Max

11. jhollington says:

Interesting how much different the placement of a possessive apostrophe can make…. More correctly, iResq is an “Apple-authorized iPhone repair service” (as are many repair services and resellers), but to suggest that they are “Apple’s authorized iPhone repair service” suggests a level of relationship between the two companies that I am fairly certain does not exist.

I don’t condone what iResq is allegedly trying to pull off here, but the text suggests that they are somehow in close collaboration with Apple, when they are really just one of several third-party service providers that some Apple employees may happen to recommend to end users.

12. toothpicktower says:

I have no idea why some litigious type at iResQ would pull this stunt. Having said that, I have been very happy with their otherwise prompt and attentive service and I would hope that the issue described is (or will be) an isolated event.

Before piling on iResQ it would certainly be interesting to hear their side of the story.

13. guy_jin says:

most blogging systems have a mechanism to hide posts; from an outsider pov, they can’t tell the difference. once cash is in hand, restore the post.

14. angusm says:

When someone posts to their blog complaining about your company, the smart thing to do is to contact them and try to work out what you can do to make it right. In many cases, that will earn you an update that says “Company X came through and sorted everything out; I’m a happy customer now”. You’ve turned bad publicity into good, and perhaps even got a repeat customer. If you’re dealing with a real asshat, that may not happen, but the asshat may also leave enough of a documentation trail to convince impartial observers that they are an asshat and their comments on your company should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Going the extra mile will often pay off; blackmailing or bullying your customers will always always fail. Now, instead of having bad things said about your company on a blog that gets read by the poster’s three closest relatives and a cat, you have bad things being said about your company on Digg and BoingBoing. Marketing fail.

I’m always amazed by the number of businesses that Just Don’t Get It.

15. seilerj says:

iResQ is independent from what I can tell, but Apple/AT&T employees will pass along their info sometimes when it’s clear that your phone/ipod has been damaged through an accident that isn’t covered by warranty–kind of nice considering it saves a little.

Another one recommended by Austin employees is All Wireless Repair (allwirelessrepair.com/), also in Austin. They also do mail-in repair and have been nothing but nice and helpful for me.

16. Takuan says:

they indeed don’t get it. Especially how iResQ will now turn up in the company of Cash4Gold in any Google search.

17. eAi says:

I’d guess it’s more a matter of principle, Guy.

18. gornzilla says:

Thanks for that! I also live in Sac and have been looking around for someone to fix my iPod 160. I’ll avoid these guys. Core Care is out after screwing me over on an iBook repair. I was leaving the country and let them know before I left. They said they’d get to it that day. Then the next day, “yes, today”. Blah blah, it continued. I had to buy another laptop before I left. Bleh.

19. Crubellier says:

My ISP is run by asshats who decided to add various MS Front Page-only features to my webspace without asking, or indeed offering any fix for the problems this creates. The most serious hassle is that I can’t delete folders in my own webspace any more, because once I create a folder, some rinky-dink little FP file appears, which I cannot delete. So one day I got pissed off and created a series of nested folders called “/are/a/shower/of/useless/f***ing/c**ts”. Couple of days later my webspace ceased to work… until shortly after I renamed the folders to something more innocuous.

20. Spikeles says:

This is why i like living in a country with government bodies who’s job it is to explicity prevent this type of thing from happening.

21. keanon says:

I’d like to hear the side of the story from someone at iResq. Since when does the Boing Boing community make snap judgments without all the info, eh?

22. sirdook says:

@Keanon,

It depends on what you’re making the judgment about. Even if they gave great service and were being unfairly maligned on the blog post, it’s pure 100%, grade-A ass-hatery to threaten to revoke an agreed discount unless you play ball with them on PR.

23. hobomike says:

uhhh, duh…take it down, get yer sh*t back and then blog away! that’s the ‘merican way!

24. Steve Stair says:

Keanon
    > Since when does the Boing Boing community make snap judgments without all the info, eh?

Have we been reading the same web site?

25. BearsAssaultedByBasil says:

@SPIKELES When they’re not trying to impose a nation wide internet filter, anyway.