The Musical Illusionist, Now Appearing at the Hotel St. George

12 Responses to “The Musical Illusionist, Now Appearing at the Hotel St. George”

1. Gareth Branwyn says:

No, it’s correct. It’s referring to the story “The Island of Japan,” about one of the 2,000 islands in the archipelago of Japanese islands, where, after a tsunami hits, Kodo drumming sounds become the basis of the island’s post-apocalyptic language.

2. serg says:

maybe, I will not argue

3. kiltreiser says:

Thanks for the pointers, The Musical Illusionist sounds just like my cup of tea.

Can’t stand the HSG website though, when will designers learn that people want simple, intuitive interfaces rather than fancy high-concept sites that look good but are actually a pain to navigate? Grr…

4. Booksmitten says:

HSG Press rocks — thanks for giving them props. Check out my blog post for some more info: http://skylightbooks.blogspot.com/2008/10/feature-hotel-st-george-press.html

5. SamSam says:

That book sounds really interesting, thanks. I have trouble getting into short stories, but that’s made it to my to-buy list.

I love the short stories, very engaging and quickly get you hooked. I work for hotels in Manchester uk
    and they are ideal for a quick read when I get a break, mind you my work mates call me anti social now for a joke lol.

7. zeroy says:

I, for one, am not going to spend much time at any site where I have to wait for the pages to load. Nor where the structure of each page is glaringly announced by having each section of it load slowly and spearately.

8. careinthecity says:

We interviewed Greenman when the book came out. He’s definitely an interesting guy. Kind of a proud luddite.

9. godfathersoul says:

Im with zeroy and hopefully the designers of that site will read some of these comments as positive feedback. Each page loads a jillion little piece and, yes, glaringly announces it’s structure. It ends up feeling messy

Two better ways to do it:
    1. crop your pages and use image maps of the links since it’s not like the links seem to actually be doing anything fancy.

2. if you really want to go there with this book-look then use flash. it might take a few moments to load, but it’ll be pretty and far more responsive.

Just my two cents…

one more cent: the fact of the slow loading is precipitated by the table design which makes pages load way slow. I never made it past the first two before I was outta there. I’m sure they have good books and, you know, you can’t judge a book by.. but it’s 7.30 am – who has the patience for slow page loads?

10. allen says:

The books sound interesting, but I have to agree that the website is only stunning in it’s ability to make me flash back to 1993-94 when nobody had any clue how to design for the web.

I prefer Rose’s “Use Your Illusion Parts I & II” to this “Musical Illusion” rehashing.

12. gulo gulo says:

“a language spoken entirely in rhythms”
    is this supposed to say rhymes