Dating service for terminally ill people

17 Responses to “Dating service for terminally ill people”

I think this site is a great idea. But I fear that some of its participants may become targets for scams. Some people could falsely join the site in order to seduce these vulnerable people and get them to leave their assets to them.

It sounds like an excellent idea to me. A normal person is almost certainly not going to want to enter into a relationship with someone who is terminal. You’re just setting yourself up for loss.

On the other hand, two people with similar life expectancies, when you lose them you’re probably near death anyway.

3. jazminecat says:

hm, i think it’s kind of brilliant. i mean, lots of people don’t want to date someone who is dying, it comes with it’s own baggage that nonterminals wouldn’t understand, and hell, why should anyone die alone? This way you get an understanding partner who knows what they’re in for right out of the box. I like it.

4. DreadLetterDay says:

That site, if it’s legit, will have the highest strike rate short of a hooker bar.

The horniest period of my life, lasting around 6 months, was right after I was diagnosed with cancer and given a 50% chance of surviving 5 years.

Nothing like a good, strong whiff of your own mortality to give you teh sekseh.

Hey behbeh,
    I’m dyin’, mehbeh.
    Wannafuck?

Worked like a charm… Though I think the haunted eyes had something to do with it.

5. adesazz says:

“This way you get an understanding partner who knows what they’re in for right out of the box. I like it.”

Well, but that is the purpose of personal descriptions. This dating site is isolating people with a single trait, just because that aspect may be hard to empathize with or explain. Perhaps then we need a dedicated dating site for anarchists, or amputees, or lawyers (jk). Every time we subdivide patrons of dating sites I assume it becomes harder for people to find their best fit. And I’m not ready to write off people with and without terminal illnesses as incompatible just yet.

I do like how the site downplays the “frivolous questionnaires” of other dating sites. Though if so frivolous, why do the other sites use them? They help people find their best fit, worldly hang-ups and all. The site has really nice ideas, but not really good ones.

6. Alon says:

I wrote on my blog on this, and suggested this service might be useful to gold diggers. here’s the link:

7. dculberson says:

Adesazz, I think you underestimate the impact of a terminal illness upon a person’s relationship eligibility.

And I’m almost certain that there are dating sites for anarchists, amputees, and lawyers. We just don’t know about them. Hell, here you go:

Not to mention one of the wonderful things about the internet: there’s nothing stopping someone from having a profile on both the specific dating site and the general one.

8. adesazz says:

Thank you for illustrating how out of my element I am, D. The crux of my umbrage seems to be the suggestion that terminal illness is so damning in context of relationships (we’re all terminally ill?). Ideally one wouldn’t have to create new dating profiles to cater to each “disability,” but then in retrospect I guess I have a pretty rosy schema of terminal illness. I blame the media.

9. IamInnocent says:

Great post David :)

Please pardon my levity

Still better than waiting till one’s introduction line becomes: “Please pardon my lividity…”

10. Tenn says:

I wonder if non-terminally ill people are welcome. I’m willing to bet that there’s an entire subset of the population that wishes to date a dying person. Sort of a lack of commitment thing, coupled with a need to nurture.

At least, I’ve seen one too many chick-flicks with such a subject.

I think this is neat.

11. Cowicide says:

@#3 POSTED BY EH

When I saw this I immediately wondered if they’d have problems with tourists like Marla showing up.

12. Clifton says:

… and the Beeb just ran a Valentine’s Day story on a UK anarchist speed dating group.

13. Wing Girls says:

This is interesting and I am not really quite sure how to respond. The idea obviously came from a need.
    All I can say is wow. This is an honest site that takes a strong confident person to join.

14. mlc2475 says:

So… is the term LTR verboten or mean on there?

15. Teller says:

It’s a lovely idea. And a first-rate movie pitch. As they used to say in Spy mag – “Answer the door, I think it’s Oscarâ„¢.”

Smoke? Do drugs? Who cares!!!

17. EH says:

Inspired by “Fight Club,” no doubt. Great idea.