Get Free Tosses in Tokyo

15 Responses to “Get Free Tosses in Tokyo”

1. ditto says:

the kanjis from the guy behind him say 胴上げ (どうあげ), which literally means lifting something and tossing it

2. FLG says:

So what does “toss” mean in Japan?

3. ringomon says:

It seems weird to me that Danny didn’t actually tell the real meaning…

Like Ditto said, the signs in the background say “free dou-age”
    which means that thing where people gather around someone who just did something great, pick them up and toss them up and down. I wish I could think of a good movie reference where they do this…

4. ringomon says:

Copy and paste 胴上げ into a google image search and it will be immediately clear what it is these people are offering. (Yes, it’s 100% safe-for-work.

5. homodachi says:

Here’s a blog entry about the free toss day. It’s in Japanese but there are plenty of photos.

The blogger says that they threw about 20 people over the span of 90 minutes, and that the the theme of the event is: “we’ll toss you in the air for free in thanks for the fact that you were born and are living your life cheerfully/with high energy.”

He also said that he saw one girl leave skipping after being thrown. Aww.

6. zuzu says:

Jelly or syrup? I prefer syrup.

7. retchdog says:

I’ve never heard “wax the dolphin” before, although it’s kind of charming.

I am guessing that it’s not from Japanese, but it makes me wonder: What are the literal translations of Japanese slang for male masturbation? I’m sure the answers will be very interesting (even/especially if there isn’t one) – anyone know?

8. ill lich says:

Toss the salad?

(look it up on the interwebs, kiddies.)

9. Made in DNA says:

re #11

“What are the literal translations of Japanese slang for male masturbation?”

Translation doesn’t work like that. When you translate, you use a native-comprehensive phrase/term/word.

10. J France says:

… I think I need more clarification as to what exactly the gentleman is offering. Is it just unexpected (and highly confusing) slang for a hug?

And I’d hug a Trooper anyday, but a stranger on the street with a sign? Unusual – who takes them up on the offer for hugs?

So many questions!

11. Tobyon says:

Translation: Thousand rubs, no joke! Literal translation Made in DNA, it works like that.

my first post yeah!!

12. Andreas says:

I’m also a bit confused, but could I be right in guessing that it’s related to the earlier post on electronics and that the fellow is offering to take old gadgets off the hands of people going to the store behind him to get the latest ones, and spare them the cost of having them picked up?

13. Nelson.C says:

Does Vader give you a force-hug?

14. Noodle says:

Hey! I did an international free hug day at my uni, glad to see I got the japanese sign translation right.

15. Harisn says:

I like how you mention that tossing means wanking in the UK, but don’t mention that, in the gay community, it often refers to analingus. I wonder why!