Green Island Project

9 Responses to “Green Island Project”

1. Paige Green says:

It’s true that there are a lot of mountains in Japan, but I would hardly call it . I was living in Matsumoto (pop 250,000) for awhile, and it was weird because there were all these rice fields everywhere, but they were RIGHT next to busy roads…

More green in Tokyo and other urban centres would be cool, but I’d worry more all the plastic and waste from pretty Japanese packaging!

I find it kind of interesting that Tokyo doesn’t do the rooftop garden thing. It seems like an ideal environment to simply move all of your parkland a few stories closer to the sun and rain.

3. gnosis says:

This sounds like a great idea, but it could get out of hand.

4. sirspocksalot says:

Wow, that video is kinda awesome.

5. adamnvillani says:

Tokyo has more greenery than other areas of Japan? Really?

6. frostkaiser says:

I don’t know what he’s talking about. I’d say Japan is 85% mountains and forests. Huge urban centers like Tokyo are definitely the exception to the rule. Where I live there in Japan is more nature around me than anywhere I lived back in the US.

7. adamnvillani says:

Yeah, I spent a month in Utsunomiya and there were rice fields interspersed all through the city, along with plenty of other green vacant lots and such. And in Kyoto the hills were all green. Plus there’s, you know, the parts of Japan that aren’t cities.

8. Ito Kagehisa says:

I enjoyed the fantasy pictures.

Grass in those places would be trampled into a four-foot-deep mud pit a few hours after the first rainstorm.

9. wolfiesma says:

I wonder if installing sidewalks wouldn’t solve the four-foot-deep mud pit problem. In the Danny Choo videos I’ve seen everyone seems to be walking in the street. Why no sidewalks? Much narrower than a road and then you have room for grass on the side. If only urban planning were as easy as snapping one’s fingers…