Benin: Some Quick Stills From the Road (and the Water)

14 Responses to “Benin: Some Quick Stills From the Road (and the Water)”

1. EeyoreX says:

” Someone I know watched a vendor cut the head off a tabby kitten, gut it, and skin it here”

Ahem…

I´M IN UR RITUALZ, LOOSIN MY HEAD!!!

There. Sorry about that, but it had to be done.

2. dole says:

“More in this evolving set” link brokeded. :(

3. BrendanTheTraveler says:

Xeni, I applaud you for your brave and exciting traveling! Your stories are fascinating and i am anxiously away your next travel submission.

I will be writing a feature student travel destination spotlight on Africa in the upcoming week on the Student Travel Blog: http://studenttravelblog.wordpress.com

Check it out if you get a chance!

4. Xeni Jardin says:

@dole fixed thanks

5. BrendanTheTraveler says:

Xeni, such a fascinating post! I am interested to know how the culture welcomed foreigners. Please let me know at Student Travel Blog.

I would love to know!

6. wolfiesma says:

Fish farming has always seemed like such a sensible way of growing food. Unfortunately, it has the reputation of being very polluting. I wonder what you could do to make it less so.

7. Takuan says:

closed tank systems. Expensive, but clean.

8. BraFrans says:

I do expat work in Lagos, Nigeria, which is close. Been told that Benin is quite nice. Just be careful of “Area boys” if such exist there..usually they are OK with foreigners, but they will require a “payment” for e.g. accessing the beach.
    @brendan: If you take your innoculations, drink your malaria pills, drink clean water, watch what you eat and keep to reasonable hours (and areas), you should be fine. If you are more adventurous.. well, let’s say that you have lots of options.

9. spazzm says:

If one family’s plot is doing really well, they might sell the amount of fish beyond what they need to survive. If another family isn’t doing well, they might work as laborers on a more successful family’s plot.

OMG! Capitalist pigdog running lackeys!

But seriously,fascinating post.

10. cujoquan says:

I was scrolling past the article to look up a post further down the page and I was kind of shocked about how similar some of these photos look to shots I took from a vacation to Cambodia… the gasoline in plastic/glass bottles and the fishing village made me think that the post was about Cambodia before I stopped and read :P

11. avraamov says:

one of my most treasured possessions is an lp entitled ‘Ceremonial Music from Northern Dahomey’ (which became Benin). I have one or two others from this neck of the woods, and for some reason they sit head and shoulders above all the other African stuff I’ve found…

12. David Pescovitz says:

Absolutely amazing, Xeni. More! More!

13. Manooshi says:

Xeni, what a cool life you live… traveling all over the world. You go girl!

14. adamnvillani says:

I read in Saveur magazine just a couple days ago that catfish aquaculture is cleaner and actually produces better-tasting fish than those caught in the wild, since wild catfish eat gunk off the bottom, while if you keep a catfish pond clean they don’t pick that stuff up in their flesh.