LAist visits Barbie's full-size Malibu house

18 Responses to “LAist visits Barbie's full-size Malibu house”

1. ral8158 says:

Ian70: You must have missed Project Runway. The person who made the Barbie hair chandeliers, Chris March, had made an entire collection that used human hair as a trim, like fur or feathers. After seeing him combing a skirt (which definitely made me gag), the chandeliers don’t bother me at all. They’re even really cute, IMO. :)

2. Architexas says:

Wow, Barbie lives in a po-mo pop art brothel! I always suspected Ken wasn’t her “boyfriend”, but…

And I agree, LB, that there isn’t nearly enough pink… the red is just not Barbie at all!

3. caddyjeanne says:

Speaking of the birthday girl…

Did anyone catch the great op-ed on Barbie by Sarah Haskins in the Washington Post on Sunday?

In case you missed it…

4. Mark Frauenfelder says:

In these tough economic times, it’s good to know that Barbie is still having fun!

5. Svenski says:

Hideous & Wasteful

6. ral8158 says:

Fabulous & Wonderful

7. ral8158 says:

The Chris March hair-chandeliers are kooky and fun. The Barbie printed fabric is just not well done and looks like a dumpy Lisa Frank fabric. it could be more fabulous.
    the rest of the space is cute, despite half of it being from Jonathan Adler’s store. I guess he thinks of himself as the ideal Barbie girl.

8. mdh says:

The chandeliers look like puppy-dog tails, and that is not what little girls are made of.

9. Takuan says:

a costume theme party setting with the appropriate recreational pharmaceuticals? And the band?

10. LB says:

Cool, but I feel like he missed the point a bit. Everything in a Barbie world is pink, but different shades of it; and you rarely ever ever see red.

Also, why doesn’t the new swimsuit Barbie come in brunette? The original Barbie did!

11. mdh says:

It really looks like a Unicorn vomited in there.

12. Falcon_Seven says:

I’ve always found ‘Malibu Stacey‘ slightly more attractive than ‘Barbie’. But, there was that thing with ‘Joe’ and his ‘kung-fu’ grip…

13. nanuq says:

“I guess he thinks of himself as the ideal Barbie girl.”

I thought that was Waylon Smithers.

14. Teapunk says:

I think it’s very “American Psycho Barbie”, all the blond hair on the chandeliers and the many pairs of identical pink shoes give off a weird serial killer vibe.

15. Ian70 says:

“chandelier made of Barbie hair” = amazingly creepy. What’s that Japanese Hair Fetish called again? It’s THAT. That’s what it is.

and amazingly creepy.

when the revolution comes this place is going burn, and barbie is going to loose her head.

17. Auto Parts for Brains says:

The designer is clearly not a Barbie fan. This does not in any way look like a Malibu Barbie house. Colors are so over the top and wtf is up with a chandelier made up of Barbie hair?