Amadee Coral Reef New Caledonia in New Caledonia

Jeffrey sez, "Of all the ~15 thousand spherical panoramas on 360cities.net so far, this one nearly made me cry, it is so breathtaking. This is why 360 / spherical / qtvr photography exists. Images like this remind me why I became a 360 obsessed maniac 7 years ago. Yes, the CERN panoramas were nice. But I dare say, this one is even better... Photo is by Richard Chesher, one of our members. You can scroll down the page for more nearby underwater panoramas. Finally, an important 'easter egg' - for the super-psychedelic experience, be sure to right-click on the panorama and select either 'little planet' or 'stereographic' projection and zoom out."

Scuba diving is the closest I've ever come to religious ecstasy, to visiting an alien world, to becoming a weightless, disembodied spirit flying over a scene of perfect beauty -- and this captures that sensation neatly. Goosebumps.

Surrounded by stripy fish in the amadee coral reef (spherical panorama) (Thanks, Jeffrey!)

15 Responses to “Stupendous coral reef panorama”

1. InsertFingerHere says:

Wow.. let my fire up my bong…

2. absolutetrust says:

@jeffreymartin, are you using multiple cameras and software stiching for the 360cities.net beta spherical video rig?

@freakcitysf, click and drag in the video as it’s playing.

3. vetnoir says:

That is SOOOOO cool. This just reiterates the feeling I have been getting that its far too long since I have been diving. Beautiful work Jeffery…
    Cory you are so right about the transcendental experience of diving. I still remember doing a drift dive off the coast of Bali in a high speed current. It was like flying over an alien landscape, cruising along over and around the civilization of another planet. Amazing.

4. JeffreyMartin says:

Hi Everyone,

Wow, thanks for the kind words!

There are more underwater coral reef panoramas here –

@absolutetrust – yes, the video stuff is exciting. 360cities.net has also started experimenting –
    AFAIK immersive media were involved in google street view only for a short time and these days google has built their own cameras. the many sightings / photos of the google car in europe and other places confirm that their big camera is not the same one that you see on immersive media’s site. Here is a photo of the google streetview camera http://tinyurl.com/cen74m

(We have no affiliation with either immersive media or the “google street view” team. (we are featured in google earth however – http://tinyurl.com/5ex7nm )

greetings from Prague!
    Jeffrey Martin (& the 360cities team)

5. Patrick Dodds says:

Mmm hmm that spherical video is da bom. Especially the two-day download time.

6. ian_b says:

This is very impressive! I wish there were some information on the hardware/software he was using. How did he make a seamless pano with all of those fish moving around?

7. DeWynken says:

it is wonderful :)

8. Big Ed Dunkel says:

Wish Georgia Max Coffee would create one of these for their trompe l’oeil ski-toilet.

9. FreakCitySF says:

checked out the spherical video demo of the roller coaster, what am I looking for? I missed it.

10. Miss Jess says:

That was a very nice way to start my day.

11. JeffreyMartin says:

Hi,

@ian_b – only the fish at the very seams of the image would risk being “cut in half” when blending images together to make the final panorama. Blending algorithms these days are very good and this stuff can mostly be avoided, manual retouching is usually not necessary these days.

the process of shooting a panorama involves a digital SLR and a fisheye lens. underwater, you probably want to use some underwater-specific lenses :-) This extreme ironing underwater panorama used an underwater fisheye lens adapter (‘adapter’ meaning, it screws onto your regular lens). For panoramas on solid ground, fisheye adapters are not ideal. Rather you want a real fisheye lens such as the peleng 8mm or sigma 8mm f/3.5.

If you want to learn how to make 360-degree panoramic photos you can check our tutorial page.

Also, a fellow in the UK named John Houghton has some excellent tutorials for creating panoramas.

12. wwiiggss says:

mee see trippee three-dee reef fishees.

13. glittertrash says:

This is an excellent reminder to pack my snorkelling gear tomorrow so I can go to the beach after work. Not a lot of good snorkelling days left in March, but what’s a little cold air compared to the joy of stepping into such a spectacular alternate reality, for free?

Viewing that made me feel incredibly blessed to live on the same bus route as some beautiful reef areas.

14. Takuan says:

wonderful, and author’s comment about spiritual experience…

15. absolutetrust says:

Spherical still photography is neat, but it has lost it’s zing for me since I learned about spherical video.

Rumor has it that Apple is developing a wearable display that incorporates a motion sensor to track head position. When used for viewing spherical video it will be transcendent. Imagine being able to look around inside of a virtual, recorded, or live streaming world?! Snowcrash, here we come.

ps. The company linked to above was contracted by Google to take the Streetview photos. They shot spherical video and pulled stills to license to Google. I don’t work for them. Just happened to meet one of their videographers when they were setting up a camera at my work.