Bum Bum Bhole from Bollywood film

27 Responses to “Bum Bum Bhole from Bollywood film”

1. invisibelle says:

@ #21 Adamnvillani, since you asked ;) I see “Bollywood” thrown out there all the time for anything and everything India-related, but it really only applies to Hindi-language films, and some (including myself) would narrow it further to Hindi-language musical films.

People were calling Slumdog Millionaire a “Bollywood” movie, and I constantly see various South Indian videos labeled “Bollywood” and omg, the raging pedant in me can’t stay quiet. :)

Gah! What’s the deal with the one kid? He’s just sitting there and we never find out why!!

I need closure!

3. Manny says:

I don’t know how Americans can watch a Bollywood movie and then go back to drab 90-minute movies with only one plot and no musical numbers. And no Amir Khan.

4. adamnvillani says:

Thanks, David, for using the word “Bollywood” correctly!

What the incorrect way?

5. TroofSeeker says:

That was terrifying.
    Even in a school for young lawyers.
    I would have left with the kid that was not amused and vandalized the clown car.

6. filmyandy says:

David, This movie was India’s official selection for Oscar for “Best Foreign Film 2008″, it did not get nominated.

7. Daemon says:

You know… I’d like to see a bollywood horror movie, triller or major action movie – on the condition that they don’t drop the random dance sequences, etc.

8. bingobingo says:

“Bum Bum Bhole”

Penis jokes in 3..2..1…

Well, that just answered the question as to whether the fear of insane scary clowns crosses the cultural divide.

10. Thoaar says:

It is obvious that Sad Kid is just traumatized from being under scary-clown’s cape

11. Mary Sue says:

Awww. I wonder what that one kid who wasn’t happy and dancing’s story is.

(Lord knows I lost my save vs. chairdancing throw)

12. anil says:

David, you may also like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxJH9kXo_3o
    used to be my favorite when I was a kid.

13. Bevin says:

I just gotta know why that one kid is so sad! Does anyone know?

14. seanboing says:

It’s a hit with the kids in India, too!

15. anil says:

#7 that kid in the movie is dyslexic and he is sad because their parent just sent him to a boarding school because of bad grades.

16. the other david says:

The only thing scarier than regular clowns are Bollywood clowns (especially ones that look like Salvador Dali).

17. littlebrother says:

This is a great film that my wife and I loved. We watched it on Air India on our way to Kerela and Goa this winter. The clown is actually the new teacher for this class. One of the kids has trouble learning, and the teacher uses insights and understanding to teach not just the one child, but the class and the school and wider community about life, individual differences, acceptance and hope.

I urge boingers to find a copy, subtitled like mine was if necessary, and enjoy this great little flick. A good introduction to Bollywood films, it is closer to English or American cinema in style, but as you can see, plenty of musical fun when appropriate.

This is a great world film, its references are universal and cross lots of borders. It could teach a thing or two to many educators and families in any country.

Rent it! Bum Bum Bhole!

On a side note we arrived very late at night in Bombay/Mumbai and unlike what we reserved our room had no A/C. I was very grumpy, but woke up to a classroom full of young boys just as excited and happy as this one just twenty feet away outside our window. A great start to a fine visit.

18. Bevin says:

Aww… poor kid. Thanks Anil @ #9.

19. turbanhead says:

Bah! The new stuff is wack. I (and my 6 year old) prefer the classic stuff like the song Naach Meri Jaan – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m5nCXqGEHI Try getting THAT out of your head!

20. invisibelle says:

Heh, Aamir Khan is such a spaz.

Thanks, David, for using the word “Bollywood” correctly! Yay!

21. tresser says:

Sad kid to come to school with an automatic weapon in 3..2….1…

22. h4x0r says:

There is seriously something wrong with Bollywood.

23. invisibelle says:

@ #10 – are you the same Turbanhead as on Youtube? You’re the reason I bought the movie Hum Paanch! I had to have video of the single worst song picturization ever. :)

24. Srikanth says:

@#26 INVISIBELLE, exactly my thoughts. It was the same case the other day here at BB with this post:

I think its time to start avoiding the words Bollywood, Kollywood, Tollywood etc. and be more careful while categorizing anything as Indian.

25. SoyChemist says:

My favorite Bollywood film is Lagaan, which also features Aamir Khan.

26. runwithskizzers says:

i adore aamir khan! this movie is fantastic

27. NidSquid says:

@#7: You really kicked my nostalgia into high gear with that link! I am so homesick. I just spent the last hour watching old movie vids and while I could recommend any of them I choose to share this one:

One of the most beautiful duets of Hindi cinema – I will try to translate to the best of my ability but I do not do the poetry of the words any justice:

2 lovers are meeting in the woods but the meeting is drawing to a close and she has to go. He implores her to stay a bit longer:

Do not leave me just yet
    My heart has not had its fill
    It seems you have only just arrived
    Like a beautiful breeze
    Let the wind pick up a little
    Let my gaze wander a little
    Let this day turn into night
    Let my heart be still
    Let me live a little longer
    And savour the intoxication
    For I have not yet said anything
    And I have not yet heard anything

She responds:

The stars have begun to play in the sky
    The lamps have been lit
    Please don’t ask me to stay
    Don’t step forward and block my way
    For if I stay now I will never be able to leave
    And you will always say you have not had your fill
    This love does not end here

But he persists:

Not yet, not yet
    You leave my desire incomplete
    You leave my thirst unquenched
    If you leave now
    How will you treat me in the days to come
    For in the path of life
    In the yearning of our young hearts
    We will face many obstacles
    that will test us
    I implore you out of love, not anger
    to stay