BB exclusive: new track from David Byrne + Brazilian Girls (audio)

18 Responses to “BB exclusive: new track from David Byrne + Brazilian Girls (audio)”

1. chrisrosa says:

Thankfully VLC plays .WAX just fine (I’m finding out). Agreed though… WTFWAX?

2. chrisrosa says:

Also TwitterFYI Xeni… It looks like is.gd is having name server issues.

3. thequickbrownfox says:

Should open in Windows Media Player.

4. Blue says:

Winamp also plays .wax without problems.

5. CharlesV says:

If BB Mutants or label people would rather me take this down, let me know, charles v at gee male dotcomz

6. Xeni Jardin says:

@chrisrosa, thanks! I’ll switch over to another link shortener.

7. Xeni Jardin says:

Folks complaining about the *.wax:

Please remember that you are, in effect, complaining about the flavor of free ice cream.

8. misterfricative says:

@Xeni #11 — actually I’m complaining about free ice cream that I can’t have. That’s not the same thing as free ice cream.

I just wasted 15 minutes trying to get this thing to play and got absolutely nowhere. Now I’m pissed off and still hungry.

9. HowardsGrl says:

It played fine in windows media player and it is great. I love DB and am so happy you shared this! Thank you!

Anyone get a poppy Nine Inch Nails feel from this?

11. x3n0s says:

I really like Byrne and the Brazilian Girls is one of my all time favorite bands. It’s interesting to hear the lyrics in English, but without the French, the song just doesn’t really work for me.

12. JeffreyAtW says:

A .wax file? Are you serious?

13. Xeni Jardin says:

Jeffrey, we didn’t choose the file format. The artists’ record label output the file in this format, I don’t think they’re aware of why many folks would find that objectionable. We’re asking if they’d consider another format.

14. ben says:

@12 Well, clearly you can’t play free ice cream, there’s your problem.

But srsly, if you just gank the audio link out of the wax file (it’s just a text file), you can play it as long as your system can play wma files. And unless you’re sporting NetBSD or something, your OS should support it.

It has a DFA / Juan Maclean feel to it. I like.

16. thequickbrownfox says:

David Byrne also collaborates with Norman Cook (Fatboy Slim) and his eclectic “Brighton Port Authority” which includes Iggy Pop, Dizzee Rascal, Martha Wainwright and many others.

17. thatbaldguy says:

Please, unnamed record label, consider another format. I sent a link to this page to three of my friends, none of whom can play .wax files, and I bet there’s a lot of potential customers that can’t either.

18. misterfricative says:

@Ben #12 — Thanks for the tip. Yeah, that works! (fwiw I was kludging around in the firefox 3 filetype manager trying to route the file to VLC, but I was getting nowhere with that. In FF2 you get to see the file extensions, but in FF3 they unhelpfully keep almost all of them hidden so I was working blind…)

Anyway, I’m on a different machine running FF2 today and for that or some other reason it’s playing fine for me now just by clicking on the link. Computers eh? They’re wunnerful innit.

Oh, and Xeni – yeah, nice song! Thanks for posting! :-)

And Charlesv — yeah, that workaround works too — thanks!