Lovely kinetic baby toys made from reclaimed wood and plastic

11 Responses to “Lovely kinetic baby toys made from reclaimed wood and plastic”

I’m terribly sorry but that coat hanger and those pictures weren’t tested for lead by the CPSIA act, that’ll be 4,000 dollars a picture please.

2. Paige Green says:

These are great! It’s so good to see toys that are not all whizz bang lights and lasers and of course – green!

Great job Sprig. Btw, any plans to bring these toys to Ausrtalia?

3. calabanos says:

Like most kids, mine have always enjoyed boxes, cans, hammers and saws more than their colorful and trendy toys. Of coarse you could never pry their colorful, trendy and now dusty toys away from them without vicious screams of agony.

4. PaulR says:

“drive their internal motion from their wheels”

Just to be pedantic: drive? Derive?

“from their wheels”? Um, from the kids’ muscles?
    (Yeah I know: ultimately, from solar energy and the earth’s core’s residual heat…)
    (Whoops, just noticed the part where it says: “kid-powered”. Never mind.)

/always enjoyed push (Tonka, Matchbox, etc) toys waaayyy more than wind-up and battery-driven toys.

5. deejayqueue says:

These toys look awesome.

I wonder if the manufacturer has taken the necessary steps to conform with the CPSIA and had all the toys tested for lead, and if they passed the costs for the testing on to the customer.

6. Ignatz says:

And my local big-box toy retailer carries them! I see a family toy-prospecting trip in our future. I’ve been trying to get my in-laws to buy more wooden kinetic toys and fewer machines that go “PING!”. Their argument is that their local toy store doesn’t carry anything like that. Now I have ammo…

7. TroofSeeker says:

When we brought our first son home, I looked at his perspective from the crib- blank white ceiling. Droll. So I made him a mobile of a bunch of colorful pictures cut out of magazines, and hung it above his crib. Cost? Zero. A wire coathanger, string, and old magazines.

8. Auto Parts for Brains says:

Is it just me or are those a remake of the teletubbies. The idea of kinetic toys are a cool way to get kids at a young age start their basic knowledge of physics.

we have a video review of the new Sprig Hallow toys at toywhimsy.com: http://www.toywhimsy.com/2009/02/sprig-hollow-tiny-toy-testers-review.html

You can see the toys in action there and you can also hear a podcast with the co-founder of the company Justin Disco here:

These are great toys and a GREAT company. Glad to see that they are getting more press here on Boing Boing!
    -Laura McMullan

10. ian_b says:

This is exactly the kind of stuff we’ll lose with the new toy regulations testing for toxic materials.

As a member of the Sprig Toys team I appreciate Cory’s posting of this. One of the comments asked about CPSIA- we have 3rd party testing on all of our toys and fall well below any regulatory limits as we don’t use the plastics or paints that will contain heavy metals or phthalates.

What’s even better is my daughter and I both love his books, so to see this post from him is that much better.

David Monahan