16 Responses to “Brain Rules: Oliver Sacks meets GETTING THINGS DONE, paperback ships, DVD goes free”

1. Diesel12 says:

“Male and Females brains are different.” That’s an understatement. :)

2. TroofSeeker says:

“Male and Females brains are different.”

I read not long ago that some psychologists believe that social order is genetically inherent in women, but it’s learned behavior in men. That’s a pretty big difference!

3. eclectro says:

If you do a double take as I did the title must refer to the book “Getting Things Done”. Which I have on my bookshelf and have only gotten part way through it. I suppose the idea is the brain tricks can help you with that.

4. georgelazenby says:

Sacks with a ‘k’.

5. fltndboat says:

Brain rules is a wonderful notion. Please let us be free of people that tell us how it works.

6. fltndboat says:

Also I pray, please do not spend a penny on this. Mental masturbation is rampant. This a profaned insult to any human with a brain. Forget it.

7. docartemis says:

I interviewed Dr. Medina on the Brain Science Podcast last year after reading his book. What impressed me was his passion for trying to change the educational system so that it takes into account how our brains really work.

Brain Rules is full of practical down to earth advice. The book actually stands up well on its own, without any of the free audiovisual materials that are on the DVD and website.

Ginger Campbell, MD
    Brain Science Podcast

8. Torley says:

#3, please substantiate why?

9. Jack says:

Interesting stuff. The 10 minute thing is fascinating because to my knowledge short-term memory last 10 minutes. So if you’re frustrated with something, take a 10-15 minute break and unless it’s a real problem you will have mentally moved on.

Also the nap rule is arbitrary since it depends on when the workday starts. And in different industries “3:00pm” might actually mean 5:00pm or 6:00pm.

Generally I’d benchmark that nap time as 8 hours after you wake. I work odd schedules and have discovered no matter when/where I wake up 8 hours later my body starts to wind down for naptime.

10. neurolux says:

Dammit! It’s Oliver Sacks with an A you insolent bastard!

11. manicbassman says:

help, I can’t post in the amazing art made with old audio cassette tapes article…

12. jeffallen says:

“Anaecdotes”. Reaelly?

13. Big Ed Dunkel says:

Brain rule #1 = CrossFit.

14. rapemyskull says:

it seems to me “dual representation” is synonymous with what koestler called bisociation….mmmmmmm i feel like a real pedant now. delicious.

It’s Oliver SACKS. With a K.

16. Charlie_55 says:

If you’re interested in education/learning and the brain, these are some good books that I’ve found:

How People Learn

Learning and Instruction

Building Expertise

I’m just an engineering undergraduate, but I came across these through people studying education. Happy reading!