"Ah Pook is Here": Unseen William S Burroughs Graphic Novel Art Show

15 Responses to “"Ah Pook is Here": Unseen William S Burroughs Graphic Novel Art Show”

1. Guesstimate Jones says:

Awesome! I beleive I have seen some of this before…cover art, for the Road to the Western Lands, maybe…

That half-finished one, at the bottom, makes me want to break out the felt-tip pens…maybe they could publish it as a coloring book?

2. Egypt Urnash says:

Damn. That looks completely awesome.

3. SednaBoo says:

Anyone have a list of these “various art galleries” it is to be shown in?

4. Roy Trumbull says:

This looks fantastic.
    We should start a list of horrible things publishers have done to authors and good things they failed to do.
    I recently heard of a text that sells for $145 a copy. The author nets 45 cents.

5. Katelan Foisy says:

I am so happy you blogged this. Malcolm is a wonderful artist and this deserves to have the recognition it is receiving. I’m glad the Burrough’s estate is working with Malcolm on this.

6. lemonkid says:

Hey Richard – thanks for posting this, just when I thought I knew everything about William S. Burroughs.. something new pops it. Love it.

Looks like a natural for nice PDF distribution, you can zoom in on the art as much as you like and no big printing costs! You could even build in some Burroughs reading audio of certain passages..

Yes, please, can Richard or the rest of the crew at BB keep us informed of future gallery showings?

As a long time lover of Burroughs and McNeill (living on the East Coast), I’ve been dying to see the Ah Pook artwork in the flesh, so to speak, for ages! But I didn’t see a calendar at the Ah Pook/McNeill site or anywhere else. Knowing it’s traveling but having no clue when or where I may get to see it is driving me crazier than the thought of never seeing it at all.

9. InsertFingerHere says:

That video was insane for 1994. You look at the style and texture… amazing. Made my day. Now to find out what this Pook thing is all about.

10. snsr says:

I would also *really* like to see this art in person. Crazy to see Burroughs illustrated! Initially reminded me of Bosch (which McNeill cites as inspiration in one of the following links..)

Unfortunately for us east-coasters, this post is about six months late – the show was in NYC last Nov/Dec:

Interview with McNeill:

Epic stuff:

“Question: If control’s control is absolute, why does control need to control?”
    “Answer: Control needs time.”
    “Question: Is control controlled by its need to control?”
    “Answer: Yes.”
    “Why does control need humans, as you call them?”
    “Wait! Wait! Time, a landing field. Death needs time like a junkie needs junk.”
    “And what does death need time for?”
    “The answer is so simple: Death needs time for what it kills to grow in, for Ah Pook’s sake.”
    “Death needs time for what it kills to grow in, for Ah Pook’s sweet sake, you stupid vulgar greedy ugly American death-sucker.”

12. Brainspore says:

I saw that video at a film festival back in 1994. It was probably the trippiest thing I experienced during high school. (Granted, I never did drugs in high school).

I had never noticed a couple of years back when I first saw this video on 13tongimp.com was from the mind of Burroughs, so I went back to find it. The embedded video there wouldn’t play for me now, but I found it on video.google.com. Enjoy.

14. monstrinho_do_biscoito says:

that art is one long LOLWUT?

15. Philipalso says:

Touched to see someone remember my dusty old film Ah Pook Is Here in relation to this show – Thanks for that Richard, and to some of the comments posted above. Great to get a mention on Boing Boing too…!

Meanwhile, I hope the exhibition comes to the UK at some point..