Women Meat Pioneers, 1943

10 Responses to “Women Meat Pioneers, 1943”

1. Stefan Jones says:

Coming soon:

Boar Testicles: The Wartime Wife’s Ration-Point Free Friend!

2. buddy66 says:

I think it was ”Meatless Wednesday” or maybe tuesday, but I remember one day a week was supposed to be meatless.

Oh, the horror of war, the horror…

3. J France says:

I have a more than a few crude, not-so-witty puns running through my head.

I wonder if the finacial fuckup we’re all enduring will have a huge impact on diet, specifically things like meat and dairy that most people in places like the US and Australia eat way too much of.

It’d be nice to think that one of the positive things to come out of alot of people’s finacial downturn would be a “better”, more responsible diet. Help fix things like heart disease, obesity and the carbon footprint of our food.

Either that or we’ll just stop upsizing out Mcvalue Meals with that extra $0.50.

4. placemat says:

Is the “new pioneer woman” here called that in contrast to the pioneering American “colonists” of the west/midwest in the early 1800s? Imagine a time when advertisements try to inspire you by comparing you to those people. It seems like a giant gap! Yet the advertising feels so modern. HURRY SINGULARITY. :O

5. merreborn says:

#3:

“It’d be nice to think that one of the positive things to come out of alot of people’s finacial downturn would be a “better”, more responsible diet”

Good food (say, organic, locally grown zucchini) is expensive. Junk food, on the other hand, has a high calorie-per-dollar ratio.

Note the amount of junkfood at the low end of the scale here:

Donuts and chips are cheaper, per calorie, than broccoli. In the face of economic pressure, many people’s diets will probably get worse, not better.

6. Blue says:

For the woman who puts out for chimps.

7. apoxia says:

It’s sad to think that one of the most pioneering things a woman in the 1940s could do actually WAS to cook less fashionable cuts of meat for her family.

8. Bob Doles Communist Doppelganger says:

#6: That and enter the workforce en masse for the first time and demonstrate that they can build bombers and stuff.

But yeah, mostly the meat fashion thing.

9. Takuan says:

“My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we’d make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really.”