Marilyn sez, "An old 747 was converted into a restaurant in the city of Mokpo, South Korea, and then abandoned. Sad looking on the outside, but still cool looking inside."

Abandoned Boeing 747 Restaurant (and Other Plane Conversions) (Thanks, Marilyn!)

24 Responses to “747 converted to a restaurant, then abandoned”

this is straight after the |JG Ballard eulogy then?

hmm

2. thequickbrownfox says:

There was a 747 bar in Sydney in the 80′s-90′s.

Part of a labyrinth of variously themed bars in the busy underground ecosystem of Wynyard station (railway station, that is).

Tubular in structure and with aircraft seating and windows it was corny as hell, but loads of fun.

3. hassan-i-sabbah says:

#3 yup.Ballardian.Deeply ballardian

4. blitz says:

Steaks on a Plane!

5. mutuelle says:

The plane is rusting and falling apart from the outside but inside it’s really cosy. Like Antinous says: would be perfect for an office. Would be so nice to have mine in there…”I wanna bid too!”

A jumbo jet converted into hostel att Arlanda Sweden:

i can picture a ballard novel where a bunch of execs get stranded in there with the restaurant staff. after they all go mad they try and take off. being a korean plane though, the opening line about eating the dog will make more sense.

8. eclectro says:

Because the destination for fine cusine is an airplane? Or because people tend to have fond memories of spending lots of time on an airplane? Theoretically it is practical to reuse an airplane body. Conceptually it is a fail. I invite the editors to follow the meme and show us all the airplane bodies converted to homes so that we may gawk in bewilderment.

9. PasteEater says:

Was it called “Up, Up, and Buffet”?

Correction: this airplane is in Namyangju, not Mokpo. There’s some other site that erroneously states this is in Mokpo, but that’s an entirely different airplane.

Sincerely,

the guy who took the photos

11. technogeek says:

Hey, it’s the modern equivalent of the diner-car conversions… I’ve heard of folks using plane bodies as oversize “trailer home” frameworks, doing a similar conversion, so my reaction here is “why not”. The main level is an attractive enough space; I could see living in it… though doing anything useful with the cargo level’s going to be a problem.

12. IamInnocent says:

Seeing that airplane in this context I’ve been able to appreciate, for the first time, how beautifully shaped and proportioned an object it is. I guess that the hype, the pretense, the whole ‘jumboness’ of it always threw me off my good senses but there it is, humbled…
    Great photo reportage.

The whole “Dark Roasted Blend” place is worth visiting really. It is chockablock with marvelous images like this one: http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/205826/205826_1213022794_large.jpg … OK, I just wanted to be able to write ‘chockablock’ once at least before dieing, yet, if one navigates passed the seadoos and the Crystal Skull relics there is some real good photography of less expected moments.

13. EeyoreX says:

@Eclectro:
    I assume the concept/theme for this kind of venue would be “Lets go on a journy – without leaving home” or somesuch, and the target demographic would probably be those who have little or no access to air travel but might find it exotic.

Anyhow; at Stockholm Arlanda Airport we have a hostel built into a jumbo jet parked right next to the airport, so you have to assume the people who stay there really like airports. And it’s doing fine:

My father worked for Pan Am in the 1950′s and 60′s, and had a hobby as an amateur historian for the company in the last few years of his life. I imagine he would be pretty upset that this particular 747 ended up like this.

15. martha_macarthur says:

These guys have a great house band that plays acoustic Pink Floyd covers in Spanish

16. ill lich says:

Well “duh”. . . who wants to eat “airline food?”

17. dculberson says:

I think it hearkens back to the days of airline travel being a true luxury and the service being top notch. Picture Delta in the 50′s and not in the 00′s.

But really, to me, it’s just an amazing structure and amazing space to use for almost any purpose. I would love to live in a converted jumbo jet. (My wife, uhh, not so much.)

18. niro5 says:

Damn it, I lived the next town over from this place and I never even heard of it!

PS. I love that Juan Trippe, founder of Pan Am, named his first 747 after himself, and not his wife at the very least.

@thequickbrownfox I loved the 747 bar, and the whole labyrinth of seedy bars at Wynyard. Myself and colleagues used to frequent these for afternoon (and sometimes morning) tea on the theory that if the boss tried to track us down and came in the front door, we could be down the fire escape and lost in the rabbit warren before he saw us.

Ah, happy days. At least I think they were. My memory’s a bit hazy about that period.

20. eustace says:

WAAAAAAAANT! Let’s sneak over and fly it home!

21. Antinous / Moderator says:

Can we buy it for BB’s office space? Pleeeease?

22. Rick Fletcher says:

There used to be a restaurant in Penndel, Pennsylvania (a Philadelphia suburb) with a retired commercial airplane on the roof. The plane could be rented for parties.

According to this page, it was a 1954 Lockheed Super G Constellation, and went up in ’67. The restaurant had been empty for a while when it finally came down in ’97, but it was still a little sad to lose the landmark.

23. AsteriskCGY says: