The Butt Race, a 1965 stop-motion movie

23 Responses to “The Butt Race, a 1965 stop-motion movie”

This is my father’s film. He is the one filming and my Uncle Tom is number 22 and all of his good friends from the neighborhood. You can see my grandfather coming home from work in the background. All of your comments brightened my day because I have always been so proud of this film. My dad is so creative even at the young age of 14. Thanks!

that was awesome!
    :-)

the cutaways to the crowd and added features like the box obstacle etc were just great

The idea of stop motion butt racing movies seems to be somehow viral and long lived: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koeEWgOb2Zw

4. JIMWICh says:

That was so great! A fourteen-year-old Norman McLaren!

5. MarkM says:

That was a truly amazing film… I wonder what this “Steven Spielberg” did subsequently…

There were lots of people (including my brother and I) who made stop-notion home movies like this. They mimicked a popular commercial for Gulf Oil Co. in which people portrayed different kinds of cars. Here’s one of the original spots:

7. LeavingHalfway says:

Best Unicorn Chaser short a Unicorn.

8. Ernunnos says:

Wonderful. All it needs is some organ music, and it would make a perfect intermission film for drive-ins. It would go great between Roger Corman’s “Eat My Dust” and “Vanishing Point”.

9. howverytodd says:

Frickin’ wicked.

Clearly, those who made the effort to understand the track conditions, and thereby made the right pants choice, got to the podium. Chance favours the prepared behind.

10. Bimmi says:

My friends and I did one of these too, in 1978. I think ours was better, though the pan shot in this one was pretty slick, and I wish we’d thought to have our racers explode into flames.

Link to the first part below, with pointers to the whole damn film:

11. J France says:

Full of win, the linked to films in the comments are great to.

I think i’ve found what’s going to fill this day in the office. Just cross fingers no clients comes in.

12. infikitsune says:

That’s pretty damn awesome as home movies go, there’s just one thing it needs: http://james.nerdiphythesoul.com/bennyhillifier/?id=NIWSOpV1zl8

13. wendyfr says:

This reminds me of my own brother’s movies circa 1970. I always begged to get a bit part.

My 17 year old son showed me a stop-action movie on youtube a few years ago. It’s now one of my favorite videos on the site.

14. Albdirs says:

Needs moar BennyHillification!

A variation on this is showing flying on a broomstick by hopping up and down and then deleting the frames where people are standing.

16. Chris J says:

I think that’s my favourite thing ever. Brilliant.

17. throwawayfakename says:

Has anyone else seen the epic Western “Blaze Glory”? A longish short film with a robbery scene, a railroad chase and i forget what all else…I saw it in the 1970′s at a drive-in theater (this is a theater where you park your car up a slight incline to watch a huge, outdoor theater. A favorite mating spot for younger persons, and philandering couples–geez, I never thought I would have to explain this. Get off my lawn).

18. sf says:

The chap in green looks like the jewish kid from Wonder Years tv series.

19. Lord Xenu says:

I remember this being a Monty Python sketch. Can’t remember which one, though.

20. SkullHyphy says:

Nice, reminds me of a desk-driving video I did w/ a couple friends after hours at our high school. I’d love to show it, but the cinematographer spilled soda on the tape.

21. nutbastard says:

weird! my dad showed me a film HE made of this exact same concept around the same year!