Boing Boing Video: "War Dialer," an ambient animation by Bob Jaroc and Plaid

(MP4 Download here). Update: BB commenter Squeevy astutely suggests regarding this particular episode, "For best viewing (and association with what is going on) I suggest using stereo headphones and not laptop speakers or computer speakers."

Today's Boing Boing Video episode is an ambient piece by animator/filmmaker Bob Jaroc and the band Plaid.

"War Dialer," which references phone phreaking and early proto-hackery through a non-narrative, droning flow of sound and speech-babble, was originally created as an 8-channel audio-only installation in a bandstand on Brighton seafront as part of the Sonic Sea Air project, ten years ago.

Jaroc says, "Plaid and i began to use it as a visual piece around the time we started to play surround sound gigs, as it served as a good visual and sonic introduction to the idea that the images on screen were related to the spacial audio."

I suggest replaying the piece in the background a few times, and droning out to it while you work.

Music taken from Plaid's Greedy Baby album, which you can buy here.

RSS feed for new episodes here, YouTube channel here, subscribe on iTunes here. Get Twitter updates every time there's a new ep by following @boingboingvideo, and here are blog post archives for Boing Boing Video.

9 Responses to “Boing Boing Video: "War Dialer," an ambient animation by Bob Jaroc and Plaid”

Plaid are awesome.
    I saw them perform with an amazing visual projection a few years ago with Coil at the Barbican in London (acutally 2002). I’m not sure if the visuals were by Bob Jaroc but they were some of the most amazing I’ve ever seen and I’d love to know more if anyone has any info! (I think this was before Greedy baby)

2. squeevey says:

3. Xeni Jardin says:

@Squeevey, that’s a great suggestion.

Yay Plaid! Another great pairing of animation and Plaid is the animated film, Tekkon Kinkreet.

5. Deadmeat says:

wow, commenting seemed borked for a bit. Kept getting invalid request movable type errors trying to log in. Anyway, Tekkon Kinkreet – I can’t recommend it enough.

6. silly bobs says:

@1 indeed that was me and alex evens of little big planet/Media Molecule fame collaborating on the visuals that night, twas a good show. It was the 1st uk outing of v1 of our robot arm with cameras on it.

is a vid of the arms eye view at a show, i think it was the bluebird in denver, the tourbus parked right outside of an adult store and the blacked out lounge window looked right onto the exit, an enjoyable afternoon drinking tea and watching the furtive/guilty/brazen exits from the store was had.

7. StudioRobot says:

BINAURAL PLZ

8. J France says:

I totes heart the Plaid! So much so I felt the need to login and tell y’all.

Love the vid.

9. IamInnocent says:

@Squeevey: thank you for explaining.