Warner Music claims Lessig is a pirate, has his presentation taken off YouTube

26 Responses to “Warner Music claims Lessig is a pirate, has his presentation taken off YouTube”

Every time I consider buying music again, the recording industry reminds why I stopped.

2. Sentinal says:

Professor Farnsworth: Yes? I see.
    Professor Farnsworth: Good news, everyone! Those asinine morons who canceled us were themselves fired for incompetence.
    Professor Farnsworth: And not just fired, but beaten up, too… and pretty badly.
    Professor Farnsworth: In fact, most of them died from their injuries.
    Professor Farnsworth: And then they were ground up into a fine pink powder.
    Fry: Why?
    Professor Farnsworth: Oh, it’s got a million and one uses.
    Professor Farnsworth: Aw, that soothes the fire.
    Leela: [referring to both the numerous air conditioners and the admirers of Futurama] So what does this mean for us and our many fans?
    Professor Farnsworth: It means we’re back on the air!
    Professor Farnsworth: Yes, flying on the air in our mighty spaceship!
    Bender: We’re back, baby!

3. HornCologne says:

/me rubs hands together in glee, follows @lessig on Twitter, buys a six-pack and joins the line to make popcorn …

We are all rooting for you, Mr. Lessig!

4. zikman says:

god bless larry lessig

Nice.

I got one of these from a music industry scumsucker because I posted a link to a radio show completely unrelated. So ruining them is fine by me. :)

6. dculberson says:

I can’t help but thing of this snippet of Pulp Fiction dialog:

“Boy, I wish I could’ve caught him doing it. I’d have given anything to catch that asshole doing it. It’d been worth him doing it just so I could’ve caught him doing it.”

Oh, this should be good.

7. Dillenger69 says:

I hate the word “preso” … whoever decided that was a good word to use instead of “presentation” deserves a punch in the throat.

8. Gilbert Wham says:

Personally, I’m makin’ pizza. Mmmmmmmmm, pizza and schadenfreude…

9. macbrak says:

somebody make some popcorn…

10. Blaine says:

Shit just got REAL!

@#6 Lessig knows what he’s doing and will set up some good precedence with this case. So if he wins (I’m assuming he will) It will mean many, many more fines for them in the future.

12. Blue Tyson says:

I’ve had a bogus takedown, so lets hear it for working on the punishment for such.

13. thewinchester says:

@MACBRAK I’ll take you up on some popcorn, I’ll bring the fairy floss and ice cream – this’ll be brilliant to watch.

14. nerak says:

time warner has money spewing from their assholes, i’m not so sure they care about the consequences.

15. Cyberwasteland says:

Irony thou name is Warner Music.

16. A New Challenger says:

Another quote that comes to mind

“Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!”

17. LX says:

Let’s see how this rolls…

18. eclectro says:

It does not mean anything unless there are consequences. Warner music obviously thinks there are none.

19. ill lich says:

Let’s be optimistic, and assume that Warner was just trying to help him illustrate a point.

20. whiterabbit2009 says:

>stiff penalties to companies that send these bogus takedowns.

so what? Are you saying this is a bogus takedown? what makes it bogus? Are you suggesting the material is not copyrighted by Warner?

Maybe a judge would rule that Lessig’s use is Fair Use, in that case then maybe he can get YouTube to reinstate it. But can he get penalties from Warner? of course not! Nothing about their claim is “bogus”. It’s just that they feel like it’s infringement, so it’s now up to a judge to decide. But they did nothing wrong.

21. Jenonymous says:

Me three RE popcorn, cheering squad, etc. Talk about bringing the fight home…I can’t wait to read the court transcripts of this case.

22. Mr. Protocol says:

It should be good, but it probably won’t be. The DMCA treats bogus takedown notices as perjury, and no prosecutor wants to waste his time chasing perjury charges.

Nor does any election-facing, political-winds-chasing prosecutor want to take on the RIAA.

Nothing will come of this.

23. phosphors says:

Anybody know what the content in the video was that offended Warner? Lessig prob doesn’t even know but just curious…

24. Jenonymous says:

Gilbert,

Schadenfreude…goes great on popcorn also! :D

25. Alexandre Van de Sande says:

Lessig for copyright Czar!