Free Comic Book day this Saturday!

18 Responses to “Free Comic Book day this Saturday!”

1. stacywinters11 says:

God, the Wolverine movie looks so awesome. I hope it lives up to the hype! I’m excited to see it, none-the-less! :]

2. Christian Berntsen says:

Don’t forget a lot of libraries get in on the act as well. My girlfriend is a teen librarian here on Long Island and she’s participated for the past three years, teaming up with a local comic shop and providing programming and activities for the entire day.

3. donovanbeeson says:

I’m working at Challengers Comics in Chicago for FCBD. We’re having Erik Larsen, creator of Savage Dragon come in for a signing that day. [We wanted Mr. Larsen because Savage Dragon is a Chicago cop, naturally.] We are super stoked! We will be wearing homemade head fins!

Do I read this right that there are no participating stores in Canada?

Nevermind, for stores in Canada, put a postal code without spaces in the ZIP code box rather than looking internationally.

6. jfrancis says:

These fade-to-black movie trailer cuts must be stopped.

7. rochrobb says:

The books are not free to the store owners. This year, some issues had mandatory minimum orders.

The store where I shop, the owner will give one free book to each customer (i.e., someone who has bought at least one other book).

8. Rictor says:

Heading to Downtown Comics in Indianapolis for my free comics…check em out if you’re in Indy! downtowncomics.com

9. A New Challenger says:

Sheesh, I should really get around to reading what I walked out with last year.

So, because of the Swine Flu thing they’ve canceled all the Cinco De Mayo type stuff around here. But you can still spread the love at FREE COMIC BOOK DAY!

11. Evan Rappaport says:

Go ahead kid, take it. The first one’s free.

12. Sekino says:

#4

Canadian comic book stores participate as well. I’m in Ottawa and get free comic books every year from The Comic Book Shoppe and Silver Snail (a franchise from Toronto).

I’d advise to show up early. Quantities are limited and the best comics go lightning fast. Last year, I got there in the afternoon and only free Archies (and I think Totally Spies or some such) were left :(

13. kidjutsu says:

The comics given away on Free Comic Book Day are recommended for all-ages and mostly kid-friendly. Remember to grab copies for your own kids, nieces, and nephews.

You can also read comics at Kidjutsu, where every day is free comic book day =).

Disclosure: I run Kidjutsu.

14. Tedly Teddington says:

There’s a new cause to make Every Day Free Comic Book Day. http://freecomicbookeveryday.blogspot.com

15. FreakCitySF says:

My brothers saw the free Wolverine movie 2 week ago.

I… I didn’t see laser eyes on Deadpool in this trailer… I DIDN’T SEE LASER EYES!

HOORAY FOR LIFE!

I wonder if they took them out with the reshoots.

17. Stacyj says:

Huzzah! I love Free Comic Book Day, it’s so much fun to go load up on all sorts of stuff you’d never considered reading before – thanks for the reminder!

On a tangential note, it’s so nice to see comic books continue to build more widespread acceptance. During last year’s FCBD our local comic book store was full of people who had clearly not looked at a comic book since they were ten – and heck, even the freshman English course at my local university is going to be teaching ‘Persepolis’ in the fall. It’s marvelous to think that perhaps people are recognizing that the genre can be just as valid and as worthy of ‘serious’ critical scrutiny as any other …

Many comic books to download: