World of Warcraft as everyday life in China

13 Responses to “World of Warcraft as everyday life in China”

1. Decay says:

Thanks for the translations Miaka – I wondered if they were using proper WoW phrases or not :) Sweet video, made me laugh!

Would have loved to see two people at the bus stop discuss Chuck Norris jokes ala Barrens chat

3. coaxial says:

1:56 and 2:13 gives the best shot of the bottle. I can’t tell, but I think it’s some sort of Yanjing beer. The shot? I don’t know. Judging from the translucent plastic jug (a sign of quality, if there ever was one) at 2:16, which clearly labels at something alcoholic beverage. It isn’t rice wine. I’ll go with bleach.

Shouldn’t he be farming gold somewhere?

Judging by his buffs he is a mage, druid, priest, warrior, and hunter. Now that’s OP.

6. Miaka says:

Haha, I enjoyed that.

I’ll do a short, incomplete translation in case anyone is interested.

I liked hearing what the various characters (flight master, store goblin, etc.) say in Mandarin. The quest giver says, “Ahh, I’ve been waiting for you.” The quest is called, “Masked Wang’s Contract.” When he leaves, the quest giver says (I think), “May the wind guide your path.”

The flight master (who is standing at a typical-looking Beijing bus stop and who is wearing a winter, military-style coat) first says hello, then he ends by saying, “May you have a safe journey.” The little bit of Chinese text is the bus fare.

The characters on Old Masked Wang say “chest hair (胸毛).” When the main character sits down and they clink glasses, the words say, “Missed Target (未击中).” And Old Masked Wang keeps dodging the blows (招架).

The plastic jug of alcohol is erguotou (二锅头) liquor, a strong, colourless liquor distilled from sorghum.

The store goblin says, “Time is money my friend.” And when the transaction ends he says, “I wish you good luck.”

7. Miaka says:

I should add, there is one more joke at the very end when he is suddenly logged out and it says, “Disconnected from Server.”

8. franko says:

doh! D/C’d!

i love how some things cross culture, like how EVERYONE always tries to jump through the instance portal and leave a cool shaped ghost image in mid-air for those behind them.

i was also thinking that he was buffing with many different class buffs (i only recognized the mage ones, ahem), but i think that was part of the joke.

9. kitty says:

OMG…really funny~

10. J France says:

Today I misread a bus-stop on the opposite side of the road as a floating question mark (denoting a completed quest to turn in), and felt compelled to veer onto the opposite side of the road to get there.

I bought by first two-month recharge a fortnight ago, and have lost any semblance of a social life. Surprised at how potent the WoW addiction is, considering the game is sort of… naff. Six hours a day of naff, regardless.

11. MrJM says:

What is the formula for that depth-charge — I want to find out if I’m mana ’nuff.

– MrJM

12. jokel says:

Shouldn’t he have ressurected at the instance gate, rather than near his corpse?

13. Zergonapal says:

That was pretty amusing, even if I didn’t know what he was saying.