12 Responses to “BB Video - Miles O'Brien Reports: An Astronaut Climbs Everest”

1. Brainspore says:

He could have saved a lot of work if he’d just lowered down a rope ladder while he was still in space.

2. Xeni Jardin says:

{{rimshot}}

3. JimXugle says:

Xeni, I think you mean

4. KeithIrwin says:

Another adrenaline junkie risks their neck for no good reason. Climbing Everest serves no purpose but to stroke one’s ego. It’s a good way to get yourself killed and nothing else. The more we give people attention for it, the more likely they are to keep doing it.

5. Brainspore says:

Thank you, thank you. But the story really reminded me of this related article.

6. KeithIrwin says:

To add some fun numbers, according to wikipedia 2700 people have reached the summit of Everest. 210 people have died on Everest. About 150 of those bodies have never been recovered. Climbing Everest is a stupid, reckless danger which should not be attempted without some worthwhile purpose. But these days everyone just climbs Everest so that they can say they’ve done it and get some publicity. It’s like going over Niagara Falls in a barrel.

Gilbert Anonymous here:
    Miles O’Brien? When did he retire from Starfleet?

8. Big Daddy says:

“I’ll take overachievers for a thousand, Alex.”

9. elguapostrikes says:

Hey, cool. I got his autograph when I was in elementary school.

@ #10 On Mount Washington (base or summit- I have no idea) there is a list of all the folks who have died on or near the peak, including whether or not the body was recovered. They posted it as a warning before you decided to do the summit in a t-shirt and jeans in July, or look over the edge of Tuckerman’s Ravine. I never had any illusions about my hiking skills, so I just looked at it as an early form of Darwin Award posting, decades before there was a Darwin Award.

@10 KEITHIRWIN – Except that going over Niagara Falls in a barrel is TOTALLY AWESOME.for

12. papercup mixmaster says:

@#5 Um, yeah – my thoughts exactly. Is he aware of the significant things he will accomplish/accomplished in a few hundred years?