Boing Boing Video: Welcome, Miles O'Brien!

25 Responses to “Boing Boing Video: Welcome, Miles O'Brien!”

1. Chris Spurgeon says:

Sweet! CNN canning Miles was to my mind the perfect single act that summarized what’s wrong with the entire broadcast news industry. I hope he’s able to thrive in his post-CNN career. We need more reporters like him, people who actually KNOW what they’re talking about.

2. pupdog says:

I’ve had the pleasure to work with Miles a good bit in the past and no matter what he may already know about a subject, he’s always interested in learning something new. That impresses me as much as anything could.

Then again, I may be biased. I got to stand on the same set with Miles and Xeni and still feel like the biggest geek around…

• Xeni Jardin says:

Wait, pupdog, were you one of the shooters or production people when we were taping that “CNN visions of the future” thing in NYC? That was great, I was so stoked to be on the same set as Miles.

3. gtron says:

@9 – totally right.
    Miles was on CNN when the twin towers got hit – he was the smartest of the lot – got out a map and talked about the timing of the event and the planning, while it was still going on – the anchor I recall was simply basking in the size of the story

4. pupdog says:

Xeni, I was your lowly tech guy, running cables and trying to get everything online.

5. Xeni Jardin says:

MILES O’BRIEN IS 1337. That is all.

6. Falcon_Seven says:

Yaay! Although Trueslant seems to be busted:

Page source says:

‘Page not cached by WP Super Cache. No closing HTML tag. Check your theme.’

Miles ,missed you on Cnn they have let a good man walk, but any how, glad to see you on the outside?have you considered taking a flight on the Virgin Galactic ,suborbital Space craft? that would be a blast to hear you report fro 100.000 feet up in space, could you get Sponsorship?
    Rene’

8. Darren Garrison says:

Okay, everybody’s already hitting on the Star Trek jokes, so I’ll have to go with: this is a tech-ish site– shouldn’t you be Kilometers O’Brien?

9. pupdog says:

@xeni, I guess the best response is ‘evolving’ – I moved on before Miles, but back since the old ‘zine days I’ve always felt ‘Happy Mutant’ was a pretty decent goal in life.

10. failix says:

Impressive, I’m looking forward to those contributions.

11. mongo says:

Not to mention, Miles is a pilot.

When he had a chance he would give, you know, actual facts on for example, not every private plane is a Cessna.

We miss ya Miles!

This is most excellent news.

13. Talia says:

Not to mention he has one of the coolest names for a space/science journalist EVAR.

(I couldn’t resist. I smile every time I see his name).

Pretty rad though, welcome aboard.

14. Xander Crews says:

Miles, what did the Hurricane Katrina water taste like when you drank it?

15. raginghormonal says:

I hated it when CNN replaced Miles on the morning show. I don’t watch CNN anymore now. I just love Miles and wish him the very best in whatever he takes on. Good to know he’s still around.

16. mccrum says:

Miles O’Brien is a total badass. Chuck Norris fears his space kung-fu.

That is all.

17. Lester says:

I can’t wait to see for Miles.

18. Brainspore says:

Wait- is this the good Miles O’Brien or the evil mirror-universe version?

19. iamanumlaut says:

I still remember Miles O’Brien’s visit to KLSU during Katrina. Always loved the science features. Welcome to BB!

Joel: How much Brien is in this blog?

Tom Servo: Miles O’Brien!

21. brassrocket says:

Mr. O’Brien, the nature of your status as a commissioned officer has been one of great debate. You have variously been referred to as “Chief” or “Chief Petty Officer” and yet, you have worn the insignia of a Lieutenant for the majority of your career, and were on at least one occasion referred to as Lieutenant by another Federation officer. The question many of have wondered over the years is, what is your rank?

Did you receive a field commission to the rank of Lieutenant as some have suggested? Why then, by Stardate 49066 did you adopt an insignia indicative of a Senior Chief Petty Officer?

I know I speak for many other Miles O’Brien fans in our desire to have this important issue finally thrust back into the limelight.

Dear BB!

If you can afford it, give him money to have him on full time!!!