Crazy French copyright law translated to English

16 Responses to “Crazy French copyright law translated to English”

1. DWittSF says:

Since it’s apparent that officials from most/all countries don’t feel the need to obey the laws they make, I suggest a little sleuthing; wouldn’t it be grand to ‘put a strike’ on Sarko, or even better, Carla Bruni, for having illicit music files?

@#3

We already have take down orders, as I suppose in every country.

Don’t you have any imagination to see that ” all measures needed to prevent or halt such damage to a right of authorship or a similar right, against any entity able to help remedy it.” goes waaaay beyond take down notices ?

Content filtering, shuting down datacenters, imposing blocking software, whatever might come to the mind of a judge could be considered *a measure needed to _prevent_ or_halt_ copyright infingement, taken agains _any entity_ able to help*.

That’s as broad and unprecise as scary.

3. Tamu says:

@#9 DWITTSF

Sarkozy already had his user name and password compromised in late 2008. It was used to extract money from his bank account.

I wonder if the authorities arrested someone for downloading in France, is it enough to have the defense that someone else did it using their account? Sarko can’t even keep his own accounts safe.

And remember that an initial h is not pronounced in French, so this law is pronounced “a-dopey”. Coincidence? We report – you decide.

Sorry. I am ashamed to be french when i see this.
    I hope we didnt start nothing this time, and nobody wont follow us.

I don’t know the specifics of French Law but it would be interesting if corporations are subject to the same 3 strikes rule.

Imagine if a photographer’s pictures were used without compensation by a major french news paper.

So you’re saying that if three people accuse Sarkoze of infringing on copyright then the french president will be banned from the internet, regardless of the truth of the accusations?

Wow… I know how I’d protest that if I were french.

Their e-mails may be phishing.
    And their calls may be social-engineering.
    Muhaha !
    Seriously, every french media is acting like this is normal, we’re in deep shit.

The law is voted, but first must pass the review by the Constitutionnal Council. 11 constitutionnal points have been raised concerning HADOPI law (the name of the administrative instance to be created to enforce this law), the verdict must be announced on june 19th.

10. Oren Beck says:

No one is innocent.

11. DonRico says:

Believe me, it’s more “Three-strikes scam” than “three-strikes scheme”…
    But the worst is still to come with another Orwellian bill called lopsi2 and designed to control everything on the Web in spite of people’s privacy and long acquired civil liberties.

12. HotPepperMan says:

The EU directive ALREADY negates this law.

13. Stephen says:

Other than the bad translation, you seem to have a quote that says a superior court is empowered to order a take down of infringing material. There are obviously much worse things in this law than a section letting a superior court make a legal finding of infringement and order a take down. This section is hardly unusual.

14. Chuck says:

>which includes the absurd “three strikes” scheme [ed: if you are accused of infringement three times, you lose your Internet access -- no proof needed, no trial, no judge, no jury], bound to fail and utterly dangerous.

Riiiiiiiiiight. This “accusation=conviction” aspect of the law seems like it’d be vulnerable to exploitation by bitter, immature, fist-swinging cry-babies and other small-minded elements.

It reminds me of the endless wars of junior high and high school, and how certain people, including a couple teachers, would argue that the fact that I was being attacked was an indicator that I must have been doing something wrong. (Never mind the behavior of the attackers.)

15. acb says:

Capsule summary: “I unclog my nose at you, you sons of window-dressers!”

On a tangent: I’ve noticed that there are next to no open access points in the UK anymore. Does English law now oblige owners of WiFi access points to lock them down or be held responsible for any paedopiraterrorist activity perpetrated through them, or is it just the grasping, monetising culture of neo-Thatcherite Britain shining through?

It’s such a shame to be French now a days. How can we let this happen? I want to move out this country, I feel like in Berlin in 1937…