11 Responses to “Guatemala: Conversation With @Jeanfer, Twitterer Facing Up to 10 Years In Prison for One Tweet.”

1. Takuan says:

those living in freer countries should be emailing their government demanding condemnation of this.

2. Hawley says:

dangerous criminal behind bars.

now thats what i call police action!

You’re a hero man.
    Hell.-

4. venomous says:

BTW, people, another thing that is sort of mentioned here but I guess I’d be good to keep mentioning, is that @jeanfer is now indebted to the company responsible for paying his bail.

If you wish to help out, you can visit the information site that has been set up at

All the fundraising (From abroad) is being received at Manoloweb’s PayPal account (manolo@manoloweb.net).

For people in Guatemala we have an account number from Jean’s family: G&T Bank, account # 39-4478-4 (Jhenny Gonzalez)

Please help out if you can :) and thanks in advance.

I just returned from Guatemala and was present when all of this was happening. I have’nt been home in almost 25 years, it certainly has improved in some areas, but I was saddened to see the usual corruption and crime still robbing this incredible country that has so much to offer the entire world. The more things change, the more some things stay the same. Pretty sad, but we have to hope and ask for better things to come. As I write this, I feel like I am also talking about those African countries which are continually being ‘raped’ while the world just sits around and watches. I’m sure if we had ALOT MORE oil, we would have gotten some type of “help” already. Money is not the root of all evil, GREED is!

6. mdh says:

Awesome, thanks for the follow through on this story.

What a fabulous simil with kafka’s book… good people is turned into bugs… and bugs being treated as persons… this is our guatemalan justice system… we hope this case could be resolver as the best it could be and don’t suffer any intimidation.

For a free speech and a free city!

8. GuidoDavid says:

“I’m sure if we had ALOT MORE oil, we would have gotten some type of “help” already.”

Don’t be so sure.

9. GuidoDavid says:

I do not think Chávez should be on that cartoon, not yet, but Colom, certainly has to be photoshopped like Castro and Ahmahdinejad.

Please somebody photoshop Colom like that!

10. Takuan says:

that is a great image, Guido David! I think just about all politicians would fit too.

Another Kakfa book I am reminded of is Der Process (the Trial). Im sure he must feel very very much like the main protagonist Josef K right now as he sits under house arrest waiting..

Very sad state of affairs. I hope this case shines a light on the corruption going on in Guatemala. And if anything the over reaction by authorities shows that the current corruption speculation is well founded.

@corban