Famous Swedish poet explains why he's voting for the Pirate Party

9 Responses to “Famous Swedish poet explains why he's voting for the Pirate Party”

Paulr: Why would you vote for Hillevi Larsson? I’m just curious as I haven’t decided for myself yet. I don’t know much about her, other than she’s very cute for a politician…

2. PaulR says:

“she’s very cute for a politician”
    Heck, she’s very cute for a person! Isn’t that reason enough?

I clicked on the link provided by ‘anonymous’ @ 3. I saw that the poll quoted was from May 22nd. I wondered if there was more recent polls. I wondered whether Mr. Gustafsson’s blog post had caused a ‘Colbert Bump’ in the PP’s numbers.
    So I clicked on The Local‘s News link and scrolled down the page and: “Hello!”

Isn’t this what’s so great about surfing the Web?

“Famous”

I had some vague idea of who this guy is and I’m a Swedish literature and poetry nerd. He had some fame in the 60′s and 70′s in a rather vocal clique (Swedish to-the-left-of-the-left intellectuals (US-Americans would call them Commies, but not all of them was), now the mayor part of the cultural establishment in Sweden (think: “Get of my lawn, you damn kids”)). I think there has been TV dramatisations made from some of his novels and he is one of those guys that always get a lot of literature prices but nobody know who he is or have read any of his books.

Some ordinary Swedes that were grown ups in the 60′s and 70′s may know who this guy is, younger people don’t. Famous he’s not, but it’s good to see old geeks from the establishment still stand up for the ideals they had as young rebels.

4. schmod says:

The Pirate Party’s showing in Sweden’s 2006 election was somewhat weaker than the American Communist Party’s performance that same year.

In other words, Good Luck With That.

Hey number 1, nice attitude, good luck that!

to 1#, they now have 45.000 affiliates and polls give them 8% of the vote.

7. PaulR says:

Considering that the Pirate Party was founded in 2006, getting 0.6% of the vote in 2006 is remarkable.

I’m seriously considering moving to Sweden so I can vote for the Pirate Party.

That, and so I can vote for Hillevi Larsson, even if she isn’t from the PP.

/i_keed

8. failix says:

Paulr, you could also move to Germany.

9. swedub says:

I voted for the PIRATPARTIET! From Florida thanks to a write-in ballot for Swedish citizens living abroad. I voted for them in the 2006 Swedish general election as well. Hopefully with all this momentum they should be able to get a few Parliament seats in Sweden’s next general election on top of some European Parliament seats next month.