BB Video - Boiler Bar: Oilpunk Creations + Sexy Burlesque Gyrations

(Download / Watch on YouTube) Today's Boing Boing Video episode is a special pre-Maker Faire warmup extravaganza: the oil-punk creations and sexy burlesque gyrations of the Boiler Bar. Creator and host Jon Sarriugarte (who I first met through SRL) explains:

Oilpunk: is Punk, Hot Rod, Geek, Blue Collar, and Maker Culture mixed together with the Petroleum Golden Age of the last century. It's the intersection of petroleum products, art, and science. It harkens back to a time when hard work, combustion engines and industry shaped us, yet it speaks to the future. It's taking the castoffs of modern industrial culture and objects from the last decade to reuse today. Dirty, greasy, sweaty, it's a work hard, play hard style.

The Boiler Bar is what blue collar out of work down on their luck Bay Area artist decided to do with their spare time and last dollar. Come by and share our delight of the sparkle in the dust of this golden age of petroleum. Drink our hooch and watch the girls sing and dance their way to you heart, then be dazzled by the labor of men spent in seconds in glorious aerial and earthly displays of plenty. And as always ravers and DJ's are welcome to talk.

They'll be at Maker Faire this weekend, and Dorkbot very soon. Here's the Golden mean fan club on facebook for our email list for upcoming shows.

Also in this episode: The snail car! a real-live blacksmith! Who also happens to be a chick! And the Neverwas Runabout, cousin to the giant Neverwas Haul! All of this and more awaits this weekend at Maker Faire Bay Area 2009. Image below courtesy dharmabum90: the Neverwas Haul, being towed by a 90-year-old steam-powered tractor.

Where to Find Boing Boing Video: RSS feed for new episodes here, YouTube channel here, subscribe on iTunes here. Get Twitter updates every time there's a new ep by following @boingboingvideo, and here are blog post archives for Boing Boing Video.

(Thanks to Boing Boing's video hosting partner Episodic, and to Shannon O'Hare of the Neverwas and Jon Sarriugarte of Boiler Bar. And big thanks to BBV guest host Aaron Muszalski and our field producer and shooter Eddie Codel.)

12 Responses to “BB Video - Boiler Bar: Oilpunk Creations + Sexy Burlesque Gyrations”

1. TheCrawNotTheCraw says:

@ SFSLIM and XENI,

Thank you for the encouragement to attend, and your personal replies. I will think about it. I would certainly like to meet more makers, before I meet my “maker.”

Xeni, thank you for your kind offer. I won’t take your money, but because I am impressed with your generous nature, you’ve made a friend, “like it or not.” :-)

“Do you know what they call me, Mr. Smart?”

Max (thinking): “Uh… Lefty?”

2. wfrancis says:

the traction engine towing the Neverwas Haul is Hortense, from the Kinetic Steam Works collection

3. shadowfirebird says:

I wondered what that was. It sounds like great fun.

But I’m guessing that this oilpunk/dieslpunk thing is strictly US-only. Here in the UK, the period of history which “harkens back to a time when hard work, combustion engines and industry shaped us” was the steam era.

4. amybeanz says:

Best show in town! Don’t miss it!!!

5. TheCrawNotTheCraw says:

Love to go, but $35 for a ticket seems high.

The proper term is “dieselpunk.”

7. overunger says:

“STEAM Bohemians”? really? -ugh- x{
    That’s the best name they came up with?
    The whole Steampunk thing is already getting cheesy and overdone without help from Disney sounding names. I mean it has “steam” in the name!! I’m sorry, they seem like cool,fun,talented people , but -my god, that’s just –yeesh.
    I don’t mean to be mean, it’s just like-” Hey, you came for a ‘steampunky’ sort of event-well, here’s the ‘STEAM’ Bohemians!- woo hoo!! ”

Yaknowwhudimean?

Dr. Diesel retorts, “Anything that burns petroleum should not bear my name, you anonymous little punk!”

The Diesel Vision was of small independent farmer/makers who pressed their own carbon-neutral vegetable oil for fuel and feedstock. Running Dr. Diesel’s engine on petroleum is an abomination and an abuse of the legacy of a great man.

9. SFSlim says:

@TheCrawNotTheCraw

Do go! Having been every year myself, I’m sure that once you’re inside, eyes agog and mind reeling from the abundant and diverse creativity on display, any thoughts of the ticket price will hastily dissipate. Much like Burning Man, the only people who bemoan the (seemingly exorbitant) ticket price are those that haven’t been. Once you experience it firsthand, the scale by which you evaluate such things is forever recalibrated.

Further, though it may perhaps be of little help this year, for both events, many people who cannot afford to attend obtain free passes by volunteering their time to help make the event a reality. This approach has the further benefit of providing other, richer experiential rewards. I’ve given months of my labor to Burning Man over the years, and I can assure you that a free ticket is the least of the perks. The memories, friendships and experiences I’ve gained are priceless.

• Xeni Jardin says:

@TheCrawNotTheCraw What sfslim said. It’s truly an incredible event, you will be so overstimulated you won’t know what to do. Pay the $35, go check it out, and if you feel like you haven’t gotten your dough’s worth? Seriously, dude, come back to this comment thread and if you can honestly, in you craw of craws, tell me that’s not a fair price, I’ll refund the damn ticket myself. The Make people do it right, and there is no other event like this.

10. nck wntrhltr says:

Here’s a shot of the Golden Mean interview which apparently didn’t make the cut: http://tinyurl.com/bbv-snailcar