8 Responses to “Design challenge of a world in which all designed objects are subsumed into boring hard drives”

1. dculberson says:

Nosehat, dude, that was a total nostalgia trip. I hadn’t thought about the Elephant Memory Systems logo and slogan in years. I remember being a kid, feeling the high quality of the disk sleeves that Elephant used, and thinking “this is the FUTURE!!”

Funny how it was more like the present – soon-to-be past.

I need some of their stickers.

2. DWittSF says:

The process goes both ways–my coffee cup coaster is a SyQuest 80mb cartridge.

3. Takuan says:

my data-status will be in the form of a huge pyramid of stone that has a few kilos of media buried deep inside.

4. nosehat says:

I want an error-proof, multi-terabyte medium that looks just like a 5.25″ floppy, and is readable in something that looks just like a 5.25″ floppy drive.

I want the storage media to say “Elephant Memory Systems: Never Forgets” on the label.

That would be my personal geek-nostalgia peek.

5. MrScience says:

Excellent! The return of feelies. Sure, everyone had pocket lint… but did you keep your April 2031 Dakota Online Magazine? Or your Special Assignment Task Force ID Card? My favorite, though, was Deadline

6. FutureNerd says:

The excerpted text, first it was exciting if a little perfumey, then, like, the water got deeper and deeper as it progressed– but I followed all the way until… totemic role??.

But Elephant Memory 5.25″ disks! I pledge never to forget! I used to buy hard-sectored disks and put electrical tape over one of the sector holes so I could use them with my recombo Western Digital controller / mutato North Star software. In order to store, what, 250K? Sure beats a cassette tho.

7. EMComments says:

@Cory “My world is definitely divided into stuff that I can compress onto a hard-drive and then stick in a box and forget, and stuff that gets displayed or worn, and virtually nothing else”

What about food and drink, friends and family, the rest of humanity … ?

8. erzatsen says:

it’s stored in the paint on my laptop.
    or, if i have to carry it and use it all the time, it’s in the form (and disposability) of a 3×5 index card.

where’s my data paint?
    and, for that matter, where’s my superconductive paint?