Devilish Devenish-Phibbs bench-plaques around London

8 Responses to “Devilish Devenish-Phibbs bench-plaques around London”

1. FoetusNail says:

Once witnessed a divorce document that proudly proclaimed, “and to my adulteress alcoholic whore wife, I leave the sum total of 19.99, so she can buy a decent bottle of wine.”

“Biul MacCord” – I suspect you are actually “Builin Malleg”!!

Great story, tho’!

3. nosehat says:

“If you can hear this, then you’re less dead than me” = Very awesome last words! I hope I remember this. What a wonderful use of one’s last breath!

This is not a hoax. Croy is real – my father went to prep school with him in Birmingham, and said he was a really special fellow. All I know about him is that he is/was an historian, and was kicked out of the RAF for womanizing (a superior officer’s wife, apparently). Also, Mulloy Devenish-Phibbs was the mayor, resident drunk & greeter-of-fisherman at Dalbeg, a little village in Scotland where my father and I fished regularly in the sixties. I’m sure he’s no longer with us, he was elderly back then. You don’t forget a name (or a person!) like that.

Yours

Biul MacCord

Biul

My name’s Stephen Emms – I wrote the original story in Time Out. Is your story for real?

You can email me directly if you like through my bench stories site http://www.benchpoetry.blogspot.com

Best

6. Andrew W says:

Hoax or not, that’s up there with my favourite bench, which is on the south side of St Andrew’s square, Edinburgh, which is dedicated to a woman who “Loved to Sit”

7. forcefeed_swede says:

I love this. It makes me miss home. I’ll never look at a park bench in the same way.

Now that it has Internet Attention and Popularity Boost v2.0, its only a matter of days before he is unmasked, or maybe the page will just turn again on this story..