Silicon Valley As I Found It

16 Responses to “Silicon Valley As I Found It”

1. LeStick says:

Rudy,
    I was a “hacker”, close to Silicon Valley. I was in the game during the ’70s into the ’90s, beginning on single PCs to company national presence on the Internet. “Cracker” was our term for those on-line with harmful or malicious intent. Too bad that term didn’t catch on.

Enjoyed your “Ware” series; cool.

2. nosehat says:

Well said; “hackers” are uninhibited types (by definition even).

Thanks for your contributions.

3. jjasper says:

Bye Rudy. It’s been trippy having you here.

4. gollux says:

Heh, some of the best programmers I’ve known have been liberal stoners. Glad to have someone else make that observation. The ones who lasted the longest were the ones who learned two age old bits of philosophy, “moderation in everything” except pizza and working late, and “choose your own poison wisely.”

5. failix says:

“Although Hollywood often depicts hackers as nerdy, inhibited types, that’s not generally accurate. It’s more common that hackers are like hippies or acid freaks or mad scientists or car mechanics.”

So true, one of my best friends is the kind of guy one might consider a hacker, and I have to say he fits pretty much your description. Glad you’re telling the truth. Nice guestblogging too, see you around.

thanks for guestblogging.

boingboing was much better with your voice.

they should add you permanently!

Best of the guest bloggers!

looking forward to the new book!

7. Slizzered says:

Thanks, Rudy.

8. wolfiesma says:

Fun having you, Rudy. I really enjoyed the posts about your kids. What a neat family… Good luck to all of you!

Photo looks like it came from The Omen..

10. EscapingTheTrunk says:

Thanks for sharing your time with us, Rudy. It’s been a treat. Now to go back to your other secret life: being Elvis Costello!

(Seriously, everybody, look at that photo again. Now picture him with a hat and scarf.)

11. wmburke says:

I was a hacker before there was a word for it, US Navy Electronics Warfare.

Our mission was to “hack” anti-shipping missile guidance, as the weapon approached the ship at up to mach 3.

Ya’ll come back Rudy.

12. Cupcake Faerie says:

Rudy,
    I just finished reading your chapter and I can hardly wait until your memoir is published. Thoroughly fascinating and readable! Thanks for sharing yourself with the BoingBoing community!

long time reader,
    Russ “Cupcake Faerie” Van Rooy

13. Halloween Jack says:

Rock on, Rudy! Don’t be a stranger.

Thanks for stopping by, Rudy, I enjoyed all your posts ;)

Loved reading your posts, Rudy. I’m starting Postsingular this week and I’m RSS’d to your blog. Happy trails!

16. TroofSeeker says:

Thank you, Rudy!
    I’ve had a lot of fun with a lot of your articles.
    Give our love to your charming family, and we’ll look forward to seeing you again some time.
    Troof