On the Road with Kesey and Truman

18 Responses to “On the Road with Kesey and Truman”

1. pato pal ur says:

Forget driving – take Amtrak instead! I’ve crossed the country several times by automobile and a few times by train, and Amtrak is definitely more fun as I always meet the most interesting people on board. You can buy multi-city tickets that allow you to get on and off at different stops along the way and anyway it’s good karma to support non-automobile forms of transportation.

2. airshowfan says:

Yeah, create your own route, something that reflects your interests. Visit people, places, and/or things that are meaningful, interesting, featured in books (or other works) that you like, etc.

When I moved from LA to Seattle, I took a road trip and visited every Lockheed Blackbird in the west. I zig-zagged as far east as Tucson and Salt Lake, called people at a couple Air Force bases to make sure they’d let me in… (Only got in trouble with security once). I had seen most of the Blackbirds before, but it was a fun 10-day road trip, including lots of neat stuff: Saw many neat airplanes I had never seen before, crawled around an old B-52 being restored for museum display, went into the old XP-59 hangar at Edwards which currently house the X-34 spaceplanes, toured the Boneyard, crawled through the belly of a Guppy, saw the X-48 fly (and other stuff at NASA Dryden)… good times. Besides: Add that to some other trips in the past (New York, Dayton, Virginia, Duxford…) and I have now seen 20 of the 30 Blackbirds in existence.

I couldn’t find the Wired article either. Is it real? Can someone please post the link?

4. TheMadLibrarian says:

Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon meanders around the country by means of secondary, or ‘blue’ highways. Another candidate?

I was unable to find a Wired article saying that the greenest car is one you already own; I only found a comment to that effect. Does anyone know the source for that statement?

6. Capissen says:

When he’s not futilely (but goodheartedly) trying to fix the Middle East, Carter pretty much *does* do this, albeit with a couple of SS folks. He’s quite the man about town in Plains/Americus, GA. Sadly, I think he’ll be the last to have a somewhat normal post-public life.

7. DWittSF says:

I did the Highway 61 road trip from Minneapolis down to New Orleans back in ’93. Beautiful country, rollin’ along next to the river. The bluff country in SE MN is especially beyutiful.

ahhh.. Allready the last day, that’s such a pitty. Was good times with you

9. randalll says:

I’ve always wanted to retrace the steps of Steinbeck in “Travels with Charley”, complete with dog and tiny homemade RV of course.

10. CoquiELF says:

For another option, I’d recommend retracing the steps of the journey in THE MAJIC BUS, by Douglas Brinkley. He’s a history prof who invents an ‘experimental’ class and ropes a bunch of his students into a cross-country trip visiting America.

I want to point out that the Nez Perce Trail follows the route of the Lewis and Clark trail through Montana, Idaho and Oregon. There’s a top-notch book about it, called ‘Following the Nez Perce Trail’ by Cheryl Wilfong, that is quite possibly the best historical trail guide ever written.

Imagine being a tourist in Yellowstone, out and about enjoying the scenery when before you know it you’re being held captive by a thousand Nez Perce who are on the run.

Enjoy your road trip; it may be the last chance for recreation for quite a while.

12. anangbhai says:

Why look to the past? Clarence Thomas regularly travels the country in a motor home during his off-time from the supreme Court.

Make your own path by walking (driving) it.

“It is remarkable how easily and insensibly we fall into a particular route, and make a beaten track for ourselves. I had not lived there a week before my feet wore a path from my door to the pond-side; and though it is five or six years since I trod it, it is still quite distinct The surface of the earth is soft and impressible by the feet of men; and so with the paths which the mind travels.” – Thoreau

Enjoy.

14. nanuq says:

There’s always The Road by Cormac McCarthy. You’ll need a cart though. Seriously, McCarthy reportedly got the idea for the novel from an actual trip that he made to El Paso.

15. igpajo says:

You should check out the interactive map of famous historical trips by Good Magazine. It’s got both Lewis and Clarks and Kesey’s trips mapped out. And here’s a good map of Kerouac’s journey from On The Road.

16. UptownGreen says:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? It’s hard to do better than that, what with Pirsig having started from Minneapolis and all.

17. gramiq says:

This one’s close to (my) home, but it’s not that far from Minneapolis, either: The Red Coat Trail

It’s a series of loosely-promoted highways that are pretty close to the path taken by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police as they entered the Canadian West for the first time in late 1800s.

Or try to find some roads that follow a river, as closely as possible. Following the Mississippi might seem trite, but there are loads of rivers, and many of them have roads alongside them.

Or, create your own road trip. This might work better for a day trip, but sometimes I go out driving and try not to drive on pavement — all gravel, as much as possible. Sometimes you have lots of choices, other times your choices are more circumscribed. But you always end up at interesting near-ghost towns, passing cairns and forgotten cemeteries along the way.

18. Big Ed Dunkel says:

Road trip with Hillary Clinton and a trunk full of Schlitz.