CC-licensed photo-book to accompany my CC-licensed essay on CCTVs

10 Responses to “CC-licensed photo-book to accompany my CC-licensed essay on CCTVs”

1. Oudein says:

Cory, this post reminded me to finally send a link (which I had intended to send forever, sorry) to a Stephen Fry personal blog post about the joys of unshackled, living language. It’s a great, rambling read, but the pertinent section is toward the end:

If one believed in conspiracy theories, you could almost call it genius that there is no more powerful word for the complex and frightening system of electronic surveillance that we lump into that weedy bundle of initials. For if CCTV was called … I don’t know …. something like SCUNT (Surveillance Camera Universal NeTwork, or whatever) then the acronyms might have passed into our language and its simple denotation would have taken on all the dark connotations which would allow “One nation under scunt” to have much more impact as a resistance slogan than “One nation under CCTV”.

So. SCUNT? Any other suggestions for an acronym we could verb?

2. Takuan says:

PRICK?

3. KWillets says:

CCTV is about as much of a threat to freedom as shellfish are to Christianity.

4. HotPepperMan says:

Is there not a Google maps for CCTV installations?

As a secondary point:

Should the individual cameras have an identifier on them (label or number) that is visible to anyone? i.e., a label at street level indicating the camera owner and a contact number.

There are many logical, practical, and legal reasons for this. At the very least, it should be possible to identify who is watching and a justification (rather than a blanket reason, a specific reason) as to why the camera is installed.

5. Emma Byrne says:

I haven’t seen a generic CCTV Google map, but my mate who does GIS-y things for Camden Council has tipped me off to their “Where’s my nearest..?” web app.

It seems to show all their “traffic enforcement and community safety” cameras.

Whilst taking these photos I got very attuned to just how prevalent CCTV cameras are. In a 100 yard stretch in Hendon alone there were 13 cameras. Only one of them had a sign saying what the cameras were for or who was recording the data.

HotPepperMan, I think the suggestion of registering CCTV cameras is a good one, but addresses only part of the beef. It doesn’t address the problem of the camera operators seeing without being seen, but at least we might have a better idea of exactly *who* is doing the seeing.

That gave me an idea: you could call a Creative Commons licensed vidcast CCTV. Eh? Eh?

Interesting to note that in a ten mile each way urban commute in the heart of affluent southern England (commuting from Surrey green belt to the heart of Stockbrokerville) I only see 1 cctv camera. I used to work in a nearby major town – More cameras in the shop than the entire High Street. – Looks like Big Brother isnt the problem – most cameras are owned by shops etc looking to protect their own interests – Big Uncle maybe?

8. bbonyx says:

CCongratulations?

;)

Somebody should start a “Wave at the cameras” day. Just have everyone wave at CCTV cameras. Worldwide.

10. Wibbly says:

I really hope that Cory’s daughter has not been pushed under the pocket-money train yet … she’s only 1.5-years-old by my reckoning.

In a similar trained-monkey way, my 2.5-year-old son points out cameras to me so that we can wave at them together … I’ve told him about how people watch the pictures … he always likes to say hello.