Mexico's Isla De Las Muñecas

17 Responses to “Mexico's Isla De Las Muñecas”

1. kettledog says:

Anthony Bourdain was there on No Reservations. You could see it in his face, creeped out.

2. edselpdx says:

The clip is from the TV show Globe Trekker, which shows here in Portland on Public Broadcasting, and is a few years old. I’ve never been there, but I appreciate a travel TV show that can take you to such places.

3. jfrancis says:

re: #9

I just noticed she was on BB, herself

:D

4. mkultra says:

While this is pretty darn creepy, the Clootie Well I just visited on the Black Isle of Scotland would also be a strong contender.

Something about the modern observance of a deeply ancient (and nakedly pagan) ritual was very shiver-inducing, especially just on the dark edge of twilight.

5. ck says:

I think the creepiest part is at 1:36 where the portrait on the post and the hostess look exactly alike.

6. bjacques says:

This must be where Hans Bellmer wanted to go when he died.

many people believe these dolls have the spirit of the dead girl in them. when josh gates led an investigation on destination truth the dolls eye opened and closed. this place is seen as holy but not holy like jesus or anything but a very spiritual place. i think don julian just saw something different like a kind of paternal instinct toward the spirit girl maybe.

I loved it when Josh Gates led an investigation on Destination Truth. You see the dolls move!!! It’s creepy!

um is that gun fire in the back ground?

Did she not notice that the portrait looked just like her?
    Too bad we didn’t have a more insightful or educated commentator. It’s not very edifying to have somebody repeat over and over. “This is such a weird place, this is the weirdest place I’ve ever seen.” Weird being probably the most overused and valueless adjective in the English language.

11. jfrancis says:

Ugly Shyla will like this. She’s a doll artist.

I’m still trying to figure out whether it was creepy. Was it creepy? I mean, really creepy? Creepy! Synonym!

13. sad dolls says:

SAD DOLLS!

i am now officially saving money for a trip here.

14. vegetable_television says:

I’ve been there – it’s at Xochimilco [maybe an hour from Mexico City]…beautiful ‘floating gardens’ – lots of mariachis in boats and zillions of flowers…and plenty of creepy dolls…

15. chroma says:

I’ve been there both before and after Don Julian’s death. The place just wasn’t the same without him, and many of the strange shrines/dioramas/whatever you want to call them were gone on my later visit.

Xochimilco, where Isla De Las Muñeca

16. chroma says:

[continuing, sorry]
    s is located is a wonderful in itself: a series of canals with small farms and empty lands located along its banks. It’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site.