Running fiber through a city sewers with a model sub

15 Responses to “Running fiber through a city sewers with a model sub”

1. Takuan says:

was Raquel Welch on board?

I realize fiber is thin, but don’t we need the sewer capacity?
    If all of that fiber gets used, that will mean more telecommuting, which will mean more need for that sewer capacity!

This reminds me of a story about a team of fitters using a small dachshund to literally run cables over the dropped ceiling. It has been running on that Russian website, which unfortunately doesn’t have a translated version.

http://ithappens.ru/story/1003, if you can read Russian, or use Google on it if you can’t.

uh. that’s not water in that ballast tank.

Similiar concept to the remote controlled 4×4 I use to run cat5 through drop panel ceilings. A huge time saver.

That sub is way cool though! I assume it has a camera too? Maybe I should go get one.

6. kenmce says:

Now what happens exactly when they decide it’s time to clean that sewer??

ew. Fibre break.

8. IWood says:

And what happens when the Blue Meanies show up? What then?

9. jenjen says:

Wow, the internets run through actual human waste? That explains a lot.

10. Itsumishi says:

This is possibly the most awesome thing I’ve read on Boing Boing in a long while. Kudos Boing Boing. Kudos.

“hell, i layed fiber through *my* city’s sewer system, all I needed was a couple of granola bars.”

hilarious!!!

anyways, sounds like a shitty use for a pretty cool toy.

12. Nword says:

They say ADSL cables, I’m wondering if they’re actually pulling E1 cable bundles..

Either way I’ve seen them doing similar things in a smaller city where I live, it’s a lot easier than digging up cobblestone roads.

13. Francesco Fondi says:

@ITSUMISHI “This is possibly the most awesome thing I’ve read on Boing Boing in a long while.”

Wow!! Thank you!

14. hadlock says:

It looks like they’re running fiber optic cables to DSLAMS, what they use for last mile/to the curb/to the house is up for grabs. I know King County (Seattle, Wa) was having massive issues getting across highways and a lot of the county’s fiber network also goes through sewers. Suprisingly a lot of fiber goes through highway overpasses. Not the type that are made of giant I-Beams, but big boxy sections of concrete – once you start looking for them you’ll see them more and more. These are hollow and are great for crossing over highways. The DART rail system in Dallas also makes extensive use of the sewers in and around downtown Dallas (pretty much the only reason why the rail here runs at all on time!).