Books as planters

18 Responses to “Books as planters”

1. TroofSeeker says:

Okay, let’s try this again:

When I was young, dumb and full of… giving research books to my girlfriend, I sensed that she might desire something more personal, so I bought the most boring old book in a thrift store, and implanted a little jewelry box inside it, with a pretty little necklace in it. It wasn’t that hard.

2. fyngyrz says:

This is a good use books on superstition. Seems only fair, since the trees were completely, utterly wasted in such a use.

Oh, and books about religion.

But I repeat myself.

3. nanner says:

i like the look but i hate butchering books.

4. jonathan_v says:

Finally something good can come from all those trees killed for Ann Coulter books.

5. Takuan says:

perhaps an arbor press with paper guillotine knives cut to length and welded in a box form? Ten tonnes force on the ram?

6. infinitemptythoughts says:

Green Book burning Mantra

What a waste,

First they came for the tree I said I am not a plant then the ink was spiled I said there is more where that came from & last when the book was minured I thought that’s crap.

Oh I,missed the clever/cute part of DIY Book pot.

Sorry…

Landfill Here I come.

Damp paper – won’t it start molding?

8. nanner says:

@ #3 I am sure there is a liner insert. i was going to suggest if anyone make one themselves to put in a waterproof tray

9. dhasenan says:

I officially register my objection to this abuse of books. If you are to do this, please use a blank book instead of murdering an existing book (unless it was a book of exceptionally poor quality, in which case I’m surprised it made it to hardcover publication).

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Readers Digest Condensed Books

10. Purly says:

Wait, are they gluing the paper together?
    Also, most planters need to be a bit deeper than that.

well, off the top of my head:

1. I figured people would complain about the butchering of books thing, I suppose I would feel that way too if I wasn’t all into this hip new digital information thingee.

2. I agree it seems like it would not be very useful for planters.

3. The main aesthetic drawback though is that the most interesting parts of the book as an aesthetic object (the cover and the spine) will as a necessity be turned away from the viewer.

12. Daemon says:

If i was going to make one or more of these, I’d cut out the top part of the pages, so that I could close the book – and thus see the title, while having the plant grow out of the top.

You could then pick plants to match the titles, and have a whole row of them on your windowsill.

13. dainel says:

Why don’t we just make this up from scratch. Fake book spine, cover, fake text block. I think it would be easier.

14. Snig says:

I came across the memoirs of James Watt (former secretary of the interior, not steam engine guy) in a bookstore once, and was filled with an unreasonable rage towards the thing. (For you youngsters, James Watt was for Reagan and trees what Alberto Gonzales was for Bush and the law.)
    If only I’d had potting soil, a couple plants and sharp implements.

15. Isara says:

easy to do

Have you ever tried hollowing out a book? I had this crazy idea one year that I was going to make secret compartment books. I bought a whole bunch of old textbooks of differing sorts and got to work.

I made it through one. one book. And about 20 box cutter blades and every other type of tool I could think of. I even tried using my dremel on it, but the thing just smoked. Books on fire = bad.

After trying all of the higher powered tools I had, I finally just ended up cutting them 15 pages or so at a time. Took forever.

Never doing that again.

16. TroofSeeker says:

Here’s what I’d do, if I may suggest:

Take a stack of books that are of no particular value, (or maybe cookbooks, gardening or some theme). Stack them flat, and cut a big round hole thru them just big enough to bury a planter. Maybe stick a cork in the drainhole, so you can take it out and irrigate it well without getting the pages wet. Here’s a picture:

Now the spines are exposed, the pages stay dry, and we’ve got a home-made nick-nack that’s producing good, clean oxygen.
    Be careful not to poison your pets.

For last Christmas I made my family (+ some) secret container books, roughly based on a recipe I found online. I got the raw books from my student library’s We-Need-To-Get-Rid-Of-These-Books cart cheaply, ranging from Norwegian poetry to geography text books from the early 19th century to a huge catalogue detailing every member of the Finnish Forestkeepers’ Association from 1939-194X, and some newer stuff. I chose books that I felt no one would ever read, in languages that no one uses here in Finland (Norwegian, German, Danish). The only one I didn’t convert in the end (I had enough presents by then) was a Hungarian-German dictionary with a fraktur font.
    The hardest part really is the cutting: you can only cut through so many pages at once, which *will* take several hours, even for a short book. In the end, I was never able to make clean enough cuts to make them line up, so I used a velvety furniture textile to cover them up, which looked really nice after I figured out the best way to do it. I even started predrilling holes to the pages using an old hand-drill to make it easier. Bought clamps, etc. For a couple of the books I even added secret compartments: my first try was to simply have a false bottom and a small niche beneath it, but for Mom’s book I actually carved a niche on the other side of the book, with its own openable cover closed with strong rare-earth magnets.
    The most labour intensive Christmas present project ever, but I think it was worth it.