Ian McDonald's brilliant Mars book, DESOLATION ROAD, finally back in print

17 Responses to “Ian McDonald's brilliant Mars book, DESOLATION ROAD, finally back in print”

Don’t forget the other great influence on Desolation Road: Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s “One Hundred Years of Solitude”. To me,Desolation Road seems to be a (wonderful) mashup of “One Hundred Years of Solitude” and “The Martian Chronicles”.

2. dr.hypercube says:

Cory – STOP IT! Cripes. Just finished Counting Heads (because of you) – now this… Though as Mr. Cook says, it’s a Cadillac problem.

3. NeonCat says:

Without Cory, I might never have read Out on Blue Six by the same author, which lead me to Desolation Road, which is, indeed, a damn good read.

4. novakreo says:

If this remarkable book pays homage to anything, it would be Gabriel García Márquez’s One Hundred Years of Solitude.

5. novakreo says:

Heh. Beaten to it!

6. MattMcKeon says:

Don’t forget the heavy debt this book owes to Gabriel Garcia Marquez’ 100 Years of Solitude. McDonald really nails the magical realist style here. It’s a lovely book.

7. MattMcKeon says:

Wow, OK, 3 ppl chiming in with Marquez’ influence. heh

8. ces says:

Actually, cory, ARES EXPRESS is not out-of-print, nor expensive. I just ordered it from amazon.com for $12.18. This is a paperback edition. The hardback edition is listed there as “unavailable.”

9. Johne Cook says:

Ok, you people with indispensable books that I also haven’t read aren’t helping. (Another addition for the Wish List.)

10. Derek C. F. Pegritz says:

Nice to see a Bethlehem-Ares longhauler on the cover at last! I read this book when I was in highschool in the late ’80s and it still strikes me as one of the most beautiful things ever written.

wow nice cover art.

12. Boba Fett Diop says:

Actually, it presents an interesting counterpoint to Robinson’s work. Magic realism to his hard sci-fi.

13. Keeper of the Lantern says:

Cory I hereby ascribe hipness points to you (3!) for mentioning Vance. Vance is, I think, just about the most underreognized author in the US. His prose is beautiful, his worlds unbelievable angular satires of humanity, and he is often hilarious.

Vance is still alive, too, but he won’t be around much longer.

14. Fester88 says:

That is fantastic cover art! I love massive steam locomotives.

Just finished it for the first time. Good book…abominable editing. This is the worst edited book I’ve ever read in my life. Probably due to Pyr’s no frills (ie. non-existent) editing on the reprint.

16. murrayhenson says:

If it’s as good or better than Kim Robinson’s Red/Blue/Green Mars series then it would be very, very good indeed.

17. Johne Cook says:

Ack! Too many great books / too little time! (This is, you understand, a great problem to have, far preferable to the alternative.)