Under the Sun: Gordon "Violent Femmes" Gano's jangly and playful new solo album

14 Responses to “Under the Sun: Gordon "Violent Femmes" Gano's jangly and playful new solo album”

1. ethancoop says:

I liked the Violent Femmes, I don’t like this.

2. cszostek says:

And thats another disc on the wall. Love his voice.

@6 I can see that.

Thanks!

-C-

3. krankor says:

Listen to this while watching the 1990s mall video – makes both of them better.

4. Brother Provisional says:

Solo? It looks like he’s got a full band in the video. I think that a “solo album” is a piss-poor way to describe what’s going on there. So what, all those other musicians don’t count because they weren’t in a band back in the 80′s?
    Language can be stupid sometimes.

5. zandar says:

yep roc. My favorite label! Great stable of artists, humane business model and distribution system.

What kind of keyboard is that??

Thanks for the pointer. I’ll make sure to pirate it when it is released in September. (I love BoingBoing!)

8. Yann says:

This reminds me how The Femmes were good. And you’re so right “The blind leading the naked” is a pearl among the treasure of their discography.

9. jfrancis says:

Makes me think a little of Talking Heads.

…and @5 I think Jonathan Richman puts ‘Cloyingly twee!’ on a fluorescent orange starburst sticker on every album cover as a selling point.

Bogmen are better, but this is solid.

11. angrydroid says:

It’s interesting to me how no matter where I go or who I meet… as soon as Blister in the Sun comes on the juke/mp3/radio box, EVERYBODY usually responds or knows the words and sings along. Violent Femmes seem to be a common denominator for a lot of people… in North America at least. Anybody else remember the rumors that Gordon Gano had died in a motorcycle accident? Or maybe it was that he ate Pop Rocks and drank cola…

But thanks for bring this new band to light. I’m glad Gordon is doing something new and this seems like quite a good band.

12. Xeno says:

Ah. Beautiful. Please remind when this is out or else I will forget and miss this wonderful album.

13. Keeper of the Lantern says:

I once saw the Violent Femmes by accident circa 1985/6 when they opened for John Cale at the Bottom Line. I hadn’t heard of them before, and when I went backstage to say hello to John Cale I accidently walked into their dressing room.

Shit, I said to myself…who the hell are these hillbillies?

Well those hillbillies rocked the house that night and really kicked ass.

14. mypalmike says:

And Lou Reed stole from Bob Dylan who stole from the Appalachian folk musicians who stole from the Scottish and Irish traditional groups who shamelessly ripped off the French who borrowed heavily from the Turks. And it’s all great music, including Jonathan Richman and the Violent Femmes.