Welcome to the e-wasteland

15 Responses to “Welcome to the e-wasteland”

1. Miles Technologies says:

Looking at this photograph, it is difficult to argue the growing need for computer recycling initiatives. http://milestechnologies.com/PublicPages/Computer-Recycling.aspx

2. jphilby says:

Recent NPR report:

(Audio requires Real player. Arrrgh NPR: WHY?)

3. JL Bryan says:

Thank God they found another word to stick an
    “e-” in front of.

4. P1rat3 says:

“Every year, Gerrard writes, 20 to 50 million of electronic waste is generated worldwide.”

I am assuming you meant to add a measure of weight. Tons or tonnes?

5. Clemoh says:

Mercurial.

6. mdh says:

I’ve seen a bigger pile of monitors exposed to the elements in Baltimore.

7. bnt says:

This year it’s in BB Gadgets, next year it’s in India or China. Isn’t technology fab?

“I am assuming you meant to add a measure of weight. Tons or tonnes?”

Maybe it’s grams and they’re just being drama queens about it.

9. pennyfarthing says:

Looking at that picture makes me feel like a kid looking at a pile of sand… I just really really want to climb it and root around for bits

10. Ian70 says:

@5 Well done, Sir. That’s precisely why I don’t give much of a hoot about new technology. Also, incidentally, why I view a truckload of new gadgets the same way I view a truckload of as-yet-unused-diapers.

11. bcsizemo says:

You know I think we need to redefine what a developing country is. When they start providing us with tech support, they have crossed over from developing to developed. Developed enough to be sucked into the wasteland of multinational corporations and greed.

12. The Jones Ultimatum says:

Those pics looked like my bedroom/utility room/basement and garage looked like a few years back,when I used to lovingly collect old PCs and monitors from local small companies.
    Then I would build working PCs from the bits and give/sell them.
    Never got round to all that acid cooking of components though.
    Poor people having to rely on local water in those areas in the pics.
    Globalisation in action.

13. invisibelle says:

Interesting. My FMIL works at the environmental/forestry ministry of the Indian government. Finally I have some conversation fodder for next time I see her.

14. JoshP says:

fifty years from now art students will use pictures like this in collages about planned obsolescence. Other ‘artists’ may have learned how to knap a monitor screen into a dagger blade to rob the then artists of their earnings from said collages.
    Either way we’ll probably be dead already from mercury and cadmium poisoning. That’s what I get from this article.