Good to see the Olympics upholding its tradition of fostering international brotherhood through brutal authoritarian crackdowns, venal rent-seeking, and remorseless forced relocation of unsightly poor people.
The head of security for the 2010 Games, RCMP assistant commissioner Bud Mercer, told Vancouver city council on Tuesday, however, that protesters will not be required to limit their activities to the areas.2010 Olympic security plans include 'free speech areas' Some homeless to be moved out of security zones (Thanks, Craig!)
You're free to use them, if you like, but anywhere you participate in lawful protest is legal and lawful in Canada. It doesn't have to be in a free speech area," said Mercer.
- Vancouver Olympics will own words like "winter," "2010" and ...
- London 2012 Olympic logo, a la goatse - curiously appropriate ...
- London 2012 Olympics: We only buy security tech from sponsors ...
- Vancouver cops affirm your right to take pictures - Boing Boing
- China wants sun on demand for Beijing Olympics - Boing Boing
- Weather modification for the Beijing Olympics - Boing Boing
- Tibet and the China Olympics: calling out the sponsors - Boing Boing
I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.