Dog sleep disorders in Disney films

13 Responses to “Dog sleep disorders in Disney films”

1. mypalmike says:

Membership at video store: $5.
    Popcorn: $2.
    Getting graduate-level credit for watching Disney films: priceless.

2. PaulR says:

“These four films were released before RBD was first formally described in humans and dogs. … The inclusion of a broad range of accurately depicted sleep disorders in these films indicates that the Disney screenwriters were astute observers of sleep and its disorders.”

The study isn’t about dogs’ behaviour, it’s about Disney animators’ powers of observations.

3. Phikus says:

Anyone recall the doggie nightmare sequence (I believe it was in a Warner cartoon) where in the dream the mantra is repeated: “NUMBER ONE DOG!”? I can’t seem to find it on the youtubes.

4. JeffGrill says:

I get letters all the time at the Dog Health Handbook about dogs and their dreams. Thanks for sharing this study that further confirms the similarities between human and dog sleep.

Have these people never owned a dog? Dogs do this all the time, its perfectly normal for them to have “chased

6. mellowknees says:

“The inclusion of a broad range of accurately depicted sleep disorders in these films indicates that the Disney screenwriters were astute observers of sleep and its disorders.”

Couldn’t they just have been astute observers of, I don’t know…DOGS?

Most dogs (and most people) talk, twitch, wiggle, moan, whatever while they are asleep at least a few times in their lives. I have a dog who randomly howls in his sleep, though he’s only done it probably 6 times that I’ve ever observed. But every dog I’ve ever had has flipped his/her paws around while sleeping every once in a while.

I think most Disney animators are good at observing life in general and recreating it in moving drawings. That’s a big part of what makes their animated movies so good!

7. kawika says:

My wife and I have endless conversations about what our dog dreams about. Squirrels is our best guess. (Dug from “Up” would be proud.) For your amusement, here’s a video of another dog with the most intense exhibition of REM behavior disorder I’ve ever seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI8XgJ3JebE

Surprising, because it was thought that dogs did not twitch, run, or bark in their sleep until Science discovered it.

9. TroofSeeker says:

Well, here’s another research study to confirm something we’ve known… in this case, for probably 20,000 years- dogs dream. Duh!

I’m glad they mentioned that cartoon wherein Pluto dreams he goes to hell and is judged by a jury of cats. One of my favorites!

10. Tavie says:

My fascination with sleep orders combined with my love of Disney films = the perfect Boing Boing post.

11. matt blank says:

It could also be that, because Disney reuses so much raw footage in their animated films, that there was only one lonely dog with a disorder that simply perpetuated throughout the films.
    That or, as many others have noted, the dogs are just doing the normal thing (like my own did) while asleep.

12. Brainspore says:

It’s official: all dog behavior is now a “disorder.”

So, somebody actually sat around watching cartoon dogs and called it “research.” Fascinating.