Javanese batikers say thanks but no thanks to copyright

16 Responses to “Javanese batikers say thanks but no thanks to copyright”

1. elfspice says:

in my moments of (unfortunately, usually drug induced) creative productivity i have always felt as though i was merely the conduit for the work to manifest, like the art was itself some kind of organism, perhaps a virus, that needed me to replicate itself.

that’s so awesome that the batik artists are saying that. now if only they could make some law saying nobody is allowed to copyright batik designs. i unfortunately see trolls under this bridge.

2. Takuan says:

if the gods were capable of creativity, what would they need us for?

“Anyone who has ever deeply investigated the arts
    knows for sure that the process is not initiated inside oneself.”

Not anyone and certainly not me. Look deeper and you’ll realise you don’t need a higher power to create.

4. billtheburger says:

Takuan,
    they don’t need us at all,
    they just see us as we see our pets, trying to do cute things and causing amusement as we try to guard our imaginary territories.

5. reginald says:

people who believe in something …

let’s show them what the is really going on.

have i/we gone too far?

6. Takuan says:

ah ha! so what do we need them for?

Sadly, I know what’s going to happen. Someone ELSE is going to copyright their designs and then block them from using them. At least, that’s what would happen in the U.S. And yes, I’m way too cynical.

8. misterfricative says:

Wow!

I completely agree with what Dorothy Haskin said — ‘This is easily one of the most uplifting copyright-related posts ever at Boing Boing.’

These batik-makers have got it absolutely right, and they’ve done it without even resorting to Creative Commons. The problem is, all the pressure is going the wrong way. We’re trying to ram our ugly, borked copycrap model down their throats when we should be emulating them.

These guys are my new heroes. Respect.

Isn’t this also true about most classical musical pieces at the time it was created? I’m not sure if it was the Baroque period or not but composers at the time didn’t really name their musical scores because they believe they were merely the instrument of God from where their inspiration of the music were derived.

10. Jabber says:

I vaguely remember taking a required music course back in college where I the instructor said during the Baroque period most composers didn’t “name” their scores because they believe they were the instrument of God from where their creation were derive from and it would be wrong take credit for their creation.

11. brianary says:

This seems like an interesting point in the copyfight discussion: whether copyright supporters are taking credit for God’s inspiration. It only works for religious folks, but it should really make them think a little more before reciting slogans.

12. misterfricative says:

Brianary said —

It only works for religious folks

Actually, that’s not true. I’m not religious — quite the reverse — and it totally works for me.

I think in fact the critical thing isn’t religion, it’s humility.

13. Clumpy says:

Crap, I wonder how Reddit would react to this.

God != Good
    Copyright != Good
    God != Copyright

Does not compute. Does not compute. Does not compute.

14. gollux says:

Glad to hear it. Copyrighting stuff like that changes artistry into a rubber stamp world with the innovation and variation slowly being leached out as various motifs become locked up by license and royalty. Learning from, borrowing and mixing that naturally occurs in the creative process is destroyed, leaving us all culturally poorer.

It’s wonderful that they think that God is responsible for their art.

Is God also responsible for the people who will steal it, and profit from it?

@Dorothy: interesting that cultures feel the need to build imperfections into their work — as though it would be perfect if they didn’t imperfect it. If only God can do it perfectly, then we should all strive to be perfect, and understand that it’s a goal we cannot reach.

Sorry, feeling a bit cynical this morning. I really do think what the batik makers are doing is wonderful and feels great. I just hope they don’t get screwed.

16. Ian_McLoud says:

As a dancer, I have always hoped someone else was responsible for the artistic sins and unsavory gyrations my vile body committed on the dance floor.

Relief at last…