Here's an "admittedly mad" Instructables project from XenonJohn: how to hack a portable 8-track tape walkman in the style of the original Sony cassette Walkman.
8 Track Walkman-Pod thing (Retro-tech) (Thanks, Michael Chabon!)
This is an admittedly mad project to see what might have happened if Sony had invented the Walkman earlier than they did - and made it so it took 8 track tape cartridges (which came before cassette tapes were invented).
In other words, can I make a personal 8 track player with just headphones in the style of a Walkman? How small can I make it? Bear in mind it needs quite a bit of power to move the tape loop around inside the cartridge.
- 8-track-player-cum-personal-robot - Boing Boing
- Quadrophenia: "New" 4-channel versions of classic rock albums ...
- Paleo-walkman of 1957 - Boing Boing
- Pocket phonograph: the proto-walkman - Boing Boing
- Boing Boing: Sony: DRM cost us the Walkman
- Austrians strip Walkman trademark - Boing Boing
- Boing Boing: Retropod = iPod inside a Walkman body