Commissioned paintings using ashes of dead person

18 Responses to “Commissioned paintings using ashes of dead person”

1. annoyingmouse says:

As tempting as paintings made from my ashes are, I’m probably still going to just go for immortality. I just think it’ll be the better choice for everyone concerned.

2. SamSam says:

@Anonymous: You made me snarf my coffee!

@Mojave ‘Here’s some bad news for all you folks who have had loved ones cremated: the ashes those places give to people are just the very generic ashes left over after countless cremations … Found this out the hard way’
    The easy way would have been to just ask somebody. What the hell was the hard way? A taste test?

4. Talia says:

Its not a staggeringly genius work of art, but its a nice enough picture! Its better than an urn! :)

#9: the ashes are mostly symbolic anyway.

5. SamSam says:

It seems like a clever idea — better than a gold urn on the mantle at any rate. I feel that the company’s name is a little irreverent, though. Why the “2?” Would “to” not have been young and hip enough for a company painting with dead remains..? And it seem to me that it should have been “Ashes to Art” to echo “ashes to ashes.” Oh well, enough back-seat naming.

6. Steve Schnier says:

What if you wind up being painted into a painting that you just don’t like? That beach scene doesn’t do it for me. Would she do an “Elvis on Black Velvet” or “Dogs Playing Poker”?

The thing about urns is they don’t typically get accidentally sold at a garage sale.

8. Nycteris says:

I know of someone using ashes to make art glass; I wondered if there were laws about shipping art products with human remains in them. But it does seem like a more fitting idea, for some, than just having an urn.

I want my ashes to be used in a scaled down 3D replica of myself. With motion activated voice recording. And real hair. My wife works in a body scanning lab, so I already have the CAD files needed for the reproduction.

10. petronius arbitor says:

Gives new meaning to the term imPASTo.

11. Blackhat says:

“My brother and I did a bit of research on the internet and discovered nobody else is providing this sort of service…” Gee, I wonder why not… Tacky 2 the extreme!

12. thequickbrownfox says:

An old pigment used in painting up to the early 19th Century was Mummy Brown, a warm brown colour made from ground-up Egyptian mummies.

Produces a much richer tint than ashes.

13. Talia says:

I imagine she’d try and paint something to the bereaved’s request. After all this sort of thing is for the benefit of those left behind, not those gone.

Terrific idea. I gotta vehemently disagree with you, Blackhat – IMHO its a very touching way to commemorate a loved one.. keep their spirit alive, sort of, in a beautiful image.

I would commission one (lets hope I dont need to for a long long time).

14. lost feliz says:

The dark subversive ceramic artist Charles Krafft has been making “Spone Funerary Ware” for many years using human bone. His disasterware and porcelain weapons are things I’d assume the folks at Boing-Boing would know about. No offense, but the painting above sucks.

15. guernican says:

“The LifeGem® is a certified, high-quality diamond created from the carbon of your loved one as a memorial to their unique life.”

And I fear that this is every bit as mawkish and tacky.

16. EH says:

This ain’t the half of it. You haven’t experienced comedy until you’ve walked into the casket showroom at a mortuary.

And can BoingBoing get rid of the popup ads?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

If you get a pop-up or a Scientology ad, send me a screen shot, please. We can’t do anything without evidence.

17. Mojave says:

Here’s some bad news for all you folks who have had loved ones cremated: the ashes those places give to people are just the very generic ashes left over after countless cremations. There is no way that they can seperate out one person’s ashes from another. Same goes for the pets we have cremated.

Found this out the hard way.