The Art of Harvey Kurtzman: The Mad Genius of Comics

7 Responses to “The Art of Harvey Kurtzman: The Mad Genius of Comics”

1. Roy Trumbull says:

I still have a collection of pulp Mads in the original comic book format going back to 1952. I went nuts over the background details in anything done by Will Elder. He and Harvey stayed together through Help, Humbug and Little Annie Fanny. They were on the cutting edge of satire and funny.

2. Russell Letson says:

“the genesis of Monty Python was formed”–?

Doesn’t anybody copy-edit jacket copy? Or would Amazon be responsible for this bit of undergraduate prose?

3. Tony Moore says:

One time, i sent Jack Davis some copies of my books, and he told me on the phone that he wished Harvey Kurtzman was alive to see it. i literally cried on the spot.

-T

4. Tony Moore says:

Kurtzman was an absolute genius. A cartoonist all other cartoonists should aspire to be.

-T

5. Mark Frauenfelder says:

I nearly cried when you stopped illustrating the Walking Dead, Tony.

6. Tony Moore says:

oh, pshaw!

and sorry about the double post up there. I guess my cache was playing tricks on me, so i thought it didn’t go through.

Glad you linked to this book, it is an absolute must have, I bought it a few weeks ago from Amazon and it hasn’t left my desk since. Kitchen is a very good biographical storyteller and knew Kurtzman since his publishing days. But the real treat in this book is the visual selection, it’s got just the right amount of everything in the art & photos. Also, the look of the book and design is downright fantastic, it treats a cartoonist (Kurtzman) like a fine artist and presents everything with respect and reverence. All around a triumph for monographs on artists.