Jamba Juice has issued a response, but it's pathetic:
Jamba Juice would like to expressly communicate that the Summer Bliss promotion was not intended to imply any affiliation with Mr. Rees, Mr. Rees' endorsement of Jamba Juice and its products, or Jamba Juice's endorsement of Mr. Rees' work."
Jambattorneys, if you're reading, here's why that's pathetic: what's at issue isn't that people think Rees "endorses Jamba Juice and its products" (he says he "prefers wine") but that to my non-lawyer eyes, Jamba Juice appears to have ripped of Rees' well-established body of work.
I don't know if what Jamba did is illegal or not, I just know it seems unfair and uncool.
Snip from Rees' step-by-step analysis of the Jamba campaign (a sample ad is inset, below):
# The clip art is public domain, of course, anyone can do anything with it ... but check out the word balloons! JAMBA JUICE TOTALLY BIT MY GYWO WORD BALLOON STYLE! Rounded-edge text box with single line pointing to mouth? I developed that in 2001 using Quark XPress 4!!! THAT'S MY SHIT!!! Jamba Juice, you're a bunch of BALLOON-BITERS.Look, IANAL, but it doesn't take a lawyer to smell something fishy in the wheatgrass. There's even a Get Your War On book, for cryin' out loud. Lazy ad agencies, if you're gonna copy someone's work without credit, at least pick on lesser-known, web-only artists whose work hasn't been online for 8 years. They're easier targets.
# First person to sue Jamba Juice on my behalf CAN KEEP ALL THE MONEY. All I care about is destroying Jamba Juice and their overpriced dumb-ass juices. EAT A PIECE OF FRUIT, you morons, you're missing most of the fiber.
I'd like to see Jamba Juice apologize and buy David Rees a box of chardonnay, then call it a day.(thanks, Sean Bonner)
Update: Cory weighs in on the controversy.
- Get Your War On, the animated series - Boing Boing
- New Get Your War On - Boing Boing
- Get Your War On - Boing Boing
- Pre-order the Get Your War On book! - Boing Boing
- Get Your War On on Blackwater - Boing Boing
- Online comic series "Get Your War On" covers Iraq standoff - Boing ...
- Get Your War On and Jim Munroe at Modern Times next week - Boing Boing
- Get your Lunch on: Jazz and War comics in LA, Dec. 4 - Boing Boing
- Get Your Exx On - Boing Boing
- Boing Boing: Get Your War On